BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.
SOLVED!

AC 25 Casework - Kitchen Cabinet behavor

I will not loose sleep about this, but I wonder why?
1. The Basic Block 25 library part > Kitchen cabinet settings > Representation, trying to Hide the Counter edges show  the Hidden contour line of the Object, it does not displayed, blank, without the edge line 

2. The Basic Block 25 library part > Kitchen cabinet settings > Knobs, does not let me select Knobs for drawers and Linear handles for the cabinet doors (Segments 1 and 2) 

Just my typical AC weekend work annoyance !

Win 10 Home Premium - AMD Phenom IIX6 1090T Processor 3.20 GHZ 8.00 GB RAM 64-bit Opp. Sys NVIDIA Quadro 4000 AC 22, MEP
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution

Thanks Carl. I'll check Minh's suggestion

Win 10 Home Premium - AMD Phenom IIX6 1090T Processor 3.20 GHZ 8.00 GB RAM 64-bit Opp. Sys NVIDIA Quadro 4000 AC 22, MEP

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Karl Ottenstein

These both seem like bugs to me, but the first one is more complicated.

Second one first.  In the USA library (in case the cabinets differ by locale) - I have the same experience.  The Knob panel clearly lets you select different knobs for each segment... yet applies the last selection to all knobs in the object - not just the Base Cabinet Block 25.

Under the Segment Details panel, there is a checkbox (upper left) for "Uniform Functions" - so that if any segment is changed to a drawer, or door, for example, all segments are.  So... unchecked that as it was the only 'uniform' paramter that I found ... but I could still not select different knobs for different segments of the cabinet (eg, drawers vs doors).

Either we are both blind, or this is a bug.

The edge thing is frustrating compared to how easy it was in prior releases to omit edge lines and merge cabinets side by side.

The counter edges can be hidden as before... but as you've seen, Graphisoft in their wisdom has decided to display the carcass edges that lie underneath the countertop.  You can verify that countertop edges work as before by making the countertop overhang the base on the left and right and then using those same checkboxes and you'll see the countertop lines are distinct from the base lines.

Graphisoft's answer to the inability to hide the carcass /base lines is pretty much "as designed".  The suggestion by the always helpful Minh Nguyen here:

https://community.graphisoft.com/t5/Design-forum/AC25-Cabinet-Objects/m-p/283137

is at best an unsatisfactory workaround.  Changing the cabinet and carcass linetypes to dotted does make the base go away... to be replaced with some random dots... which would export if sharing this with someone, leaving them scratching their head.   As far as I know, that's the only workaround at present?

One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Solution

Thanks Carl. I'll check Minh's suggestion

This appears to be a bug (with the knobs) because it appears that even if "Uniform Functions" is turned off in all areas, the last knob selected applies to all cabinet fronts, like you described.  It would be wonderful if this bug could be fixed - I first saw it in 25, but now I'm working in 26 and still encountering it.

Gephel
Newcomer

Unfortunately, I have to point out that the issues with the kitchen cabinet don't appear to have been resolved yet. This thread is already 1 year old, and even if I tried to see if there were any others updated, I wouldn't find any, so I'm assuming the issue hasn't been fixed yet.
I still can't use different handles in a kitchen cabinet, and this becomes an embarrassing problem when I have to show the work to a client, especially when the client lacks imaginative skills.
The classic kitchen doesn't usually have the same handles.
But also the modern one sometimes has different handles in purpose.
Allow me to add a few practical considerations:
the dimensions of a kitchen unit are directly linked to the structure of the unit. In the event that electrical appliances need to be installed, such as a built-in refrigerator or a dishwasher, it would be much more practical to have a tool available that allows you to size the piece of furniture based on the size of the appliances.
Dishwashers also have a different shape and structure, and generally the door opening is different from other furniture.
The built-in refrigerator has internal guides which affect the dimensions of the cabinet, and which, if not calculated, can create problems during the construction phase.
The corners of the kitchen furniture must allow for shelves to be inserted inside them, as is normally the case, and have a function that allows you to choose which side to install the divider on.
Finally, I'd be really happy if it could make it easier to place the handles. It's complicated, impractical. The method of positioning a handle should refer to the upper corner of the panel where the handle should be installed, considering the opening direction, and have the possibility of mirroring its position.
Hope this information helps.

ARCHICAD 26 5004 UKI Solo iMAC Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020 3.6 GHz 10-Core Intel Core i9
"Frangar non flectar"
Learn and get certified!