BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

AC10 render...what's new?

Mats_Knutsson
Advisor
I can't figure what GS have done with the renderings except for the "natural sun" option... Check the glass material on this render. I could never have done this in AC9 (maybe my incompetence). The coloured cylinders are just plain paint which also looks really decent.

I notice a render just out-of-the box looks so much better with AC10. Improved material properties are most likely an explanation but I get the feeling there is more to it or...!?
I haven't had the time to play with the renderings yet but I will in the next weeks.
Cheers,
Mats

testbild.jpg
AC 25 SWE Full

HP Zbook Fury 15,6 G8. 32 GB RAM. Nvidia RTX A3000.
17 REPLIES 17
TomWaltz
Participant
I think the only thing they did is make more logical defaults for the rendering settings.
Tom Waltz
Mats_Knutsson
Advisor
TomWaltz wrote:
I think the only thing they did is make more logical defaults for the rendering settings.
!!!? clever to hide this from the users for almost two years...not!? sometimes I feel but I love AC
AC 25 SWE Full

Dwight
Newcomer
- Yes, there's work been done on the materials.
- natural sun option is nice - soft shadows built-in. Still need undersun, however.
- un-natural sun features also now implemented - but cryptic.
- antialiasing now a slider rather than radio buttons but still quite basic.

You are getting better glass because you've picked a "ray-tracing" glass option. The original ArchiCAD glass was not this sophisticated. LightWorks provides many materials that have yet to be introduced into the ArchiCAD library but dwell as .lwa in the LightWorks archives.
Dwight Atkinson
Mats_Knutsson
Advisor
Dwight wrote:
- Yes, there's work been done on the materials.
- natural sun option is nice - soft shadows built-in. Still need undersun, however.
- un-natural sun features also now implemented - but cryptic.
- antialiasing now a slider rather than radio buttons but still quite basic.

You are getting better glass because you've picked a "ray-tracing" glass option. The original ArchiCAD glass was not this sophisticated. LightWorks provides many materials that have yet to be introduced into the ArchiCAD library but dwell as .lwa in the LightWorks archives.
Dwell=does not exist... GS should NOT trust the users to go on an adventure expedition for settings that shoud be out-of the-box. There are always some who will but 98% won't (IMO)...and that 98% speak with their buddies... Nuf complaining ...now I will go windsurfing!
Yihaaaa!!!!!
AC 25 SWE Full

Dwight
Newcomer
I know what you mean. It is an immense task to thumb thru the archive list and convert the individual .lwa data into ArchiCAD materials - many of which are repeating.

People who bought my book receive a download of all of these materials brought forth from the archive into an ArchiCAD .aat file.

Certain "shaders" are a mixed blessing.

For instance, ArchiCAD 10 has swell brick materials with bitmapped shadows, based in a photo image. In the .lwa archive, there's a procedural shader for brick that lets you dial in any combination of color, size and stacking pattern, but the shader can't create shadows. Dang.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Dwight wrote:
People who bought my book receive a download of all of these materials brought forth from the archive into an ArchiCAD .aat file.
Dwight, can you give me a web link to download these materials? I think I registered my book purchase, but if not, what is the process? Thanks
Dwight
Newcomer
Your registration was received.
I have just sent download instructions to your registration email.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Dwight wrote:
Your registration was received.
I have just sent download instructions to your registration email.
Dwight,
I need to download also, could you guid me?
Thanks,
Joseph
Anonymous
Not applicable
Where is natural sun option?
I could'nt find it.
Learn and get certified!