Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

AC18 OGL Surface Definition

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Karl...Topic moved from AC+.

AC18 installed successfully! But I can't find 800 high-quality surfaces for SSA subscribers nor locate OGL surface Match Button with C4D!

Also what system are you using, or suggestion to organize surface and building material attributes (myself decided for Master Format Numbering System so that list with number prefix is organized in relevant groups regardless the name)

Thanks, Andy
13 REPLIES 13
Eduardo Rolon
Location is within the Materials palette. Though by some reason I am unauthorized.
Screen Shot 2014-06-21 at 1.46.35 PM.png
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Eduardo Rolon
and in the same place check…
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

another Moderator

Jere
Expert
ejrolon wrote:
Location is within the Materials palette. Though by some reason I am unauthorized.
Same here and I'm using the email/sign-in that's registered with Graphisoft.
ArchiCAD 26-5002; Windows 11; Intel i7-10700KF; 16GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1660
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Eduardo, but...

- Matching is only between internal engine (I REALLY DON'T UNDERSTAND WHAT THAT ENGINE IS KEPT FOR ) and C4D, not between OGL and C4D. The reason for me is to WYSIWYG when render what I was experiencing while designing in AC 3D window (driven by OGL), although it will be matching material image-texture only.

- and the same issue as for others, despite being subscriber (just renewed) I got NOT AUTHORIZED message.

Regards, Andy
Eduardo Rolon
Karl might be able to give you a better/specific answer but matching to Internal should update OGL since both have common settings.
-----
The other recommended setting is to use "Replaces Settings from Catalog" which should update both Internal and OpenGL.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

another Moderator

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Eduardo,

I'll try,
(sorry for double post ,I need new mouse)
Andy
Anonymous
Not applicable
Eduardo,

I did what suggested, and yes it affects OGL setting, but no texture only colour definition. There could be two reasons i don't have that extended 800 items library or more likely the texture (common brick surface) is procedural and not easy to translate to OGL; certainly did not work !?

Thanks anyway,
Andy
Karl Ottenstein
ejrolon wrote:
The other recommended setting is to use "Replaces Settings from Catalog" which should update both Internal and OpenGL.
Yes, this is the recommended method from the CineRender dev team especially for people updating existing templates. Let's say you have the 'old' Grass-Green in your project / template... and you want to see real 3D CineRender grass.

The workflow is weird, to say the least, to me... as you would be looking at your current Grass Surface Settings... and not see any button for 'replace'. Instead you click "New" (even though you are not creating a new attribute!) - and then select "Replace Settings from Catalog" as shown in the attached screenshot. This completely replaces the OGL/Internal/CR settings... all of them in one step.

(Alternatively, New from Catalog would create a new Surface regardless of what you're presently looking at.)
Screen Shot 2014-06-21 at 4.50.04 PM.jpg
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Karl Ottenstein
As for matching CineRender (CR) to OGL/Internal... most settings approximate their way through, but the texture image will only show up if the CR settings used a single, simple texture as the "Color". If not, any existing texture for an existing surface is erased. Personally, I'd prefer that the existing not be erased, but that's the official behavior according to the dev team.

See the attached screenshot for the Brick - Common Bond in the USA library and look at all of the stuff nested under "Color" on the left! All of these things are layered and individually adjustable to fine-tune the final appearance. There is no mechanism in 18 to "bake" them into a single new texture for OGL (sort of the equivalent of Photoshop flattening of layers into a single image).

It's unfortunate, but to match backwards from CR most often ends up being more work due to having to locate and scale an appropriate texture image as you've seen.

Again, if the included surfaces are good enough... loading/replacing from the library gives usable results for all views.
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB