Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

Adobe Photoshop vs. Corel's Paint Shop Pro

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello Talkers,

Does anyone have experience in using Paint Shop Pro (PSP) and comparing it to Adobe Photoshop (AP) ?

I know that AP has cornered the market, but is this for real or an Autocad type domination of the market.

The difference in price is considerable, but can PSP get the job done: touching up renderings, adding effects, adding elements not in the original, etc.

Dwight ?

TIA,

Naftali
8 REPLIES 8
Rakela Raul
Participant
Looks great! Btw, why does everybody use photoshop? I mean, its the standard, and surely the best in the market, but it always seemed to me it is extremely overkill for my needs. I use GIMP (should be called wimp, I know), but it works good enough for me and ! Its FREE !
comment from Krippahl.
MACBKPro /32GiG / 240SSD
AC V6 to V18 - RVT V11 to V16
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you Rakela.

Naftali: From my (not so extensive) experience, GIMP is just about good enough for an architect that does about 90% of his work on ArchiCAD, then renders it on ArchiCAD or any other software, and then needs to touch things up a bit. Sharpen an image, mask some stuff in, giggle the contrast and the historygram, whatever.

BTW, I have used ArchiCAD also to do all that funny vectorial stuff design programs do, like making the layout of a poster.
You can export anything from Archicad floor plan window into TIF format (although with a h 4000 pixel as a maximum, don't ask me why) or into PDF with huge files (A0 1200dpi I think).

And if this combination is good enough for you (for me it is) you pay 0€ extra, so you can save your money for the upcoming AC 10
Rakela Raul
Participant
allow me to add something else about the very likeable gimp,
i forgot that sometimes i create some web photo pages using pshop cs,,,
thing that i cannot do with gimp (i think).... i guess im reinstalling ps cs again..i really like the quickness of gimp.
MACBKPro /32GiG / 240SSD
stefan
Expert
In 3D World magazine, one of the critiques of Paint Shop Pro was about the support of Alpha channels. For that, Photoshop still seemed to be way ahead.

I use Photoshop Elements at home (about $100 but free with my scanner that costed about the same) and although you do feel the difference, it's adequate for most things I need to do.

I didn't like GIMP at all. Never did. To be fair, I think it's a nice and workable application, but it just doesn't fit with how I want an interface to work.

I did gave some hints for alternatives in post
http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=8798
--- stefan boeykens --- bim-expert-architect-engineer-musician ---
Archicad27/Revit2023/Rhino8/Unity/Solibri/Zoom
MBP2023:14"M2MAX/Sonoma+Win11
Archicad-user since 1998
my Archicad Book
Rakela Raul
Participant
but it just doesn't fit with how I want an interface to work
I tend to agree and it was my first impression, but it is not that bad.

Thank you Stefan
MACBKPro /32GiG / 240SSD
Anonymous
Not applicable
Naftali wrote:
Hello Talkers,

Does anyone have experience in using Paint Shop Pro (PSP) and comparing it to Adobe Photoshop (AP) ?
Naftali
No - but I do use (and prefer) Corel Photopaint which IMHO has a much better interface and is much faster (eg. wheelmouse zoom was incorporated years ago). When I occasionaly use photoshop at work it is like going back in time and I lose some productivity.

Also you get the whole Corel Graphics suite for less money than Photoshop.
TomWaltz
Participant
I think for most purposes, Photoshop Elements can be used in place of Photoshop. I've been using it for texture editing and it works great for me.

If price is a concern, I'd say it's worth a look.
Tom Waltz
stefan
Expert
Bogman wrote:
Naftali wrote:
Hello Talkers,

Naftali
No - but I do use (and prefer) Corel Photopaint which IMHO has a much better interface and is much faster (eg. wheelmouse zoom was incorporated years ago). When I occasionaly use photoshop at work it is like going back in time and I lose some productivity.

Also you get the whole Corel Graphics suite for less money than Photoshop.
While I have been a PhotoPAINT user for quite some time (I bought it for my own practice, bundled with CorelDRAW), I now usually rely on Photoshop at work. The main reason being the fact that many Photoshop operations stay editable and the fast workflow with selections and masks. But PhotoPAINT is certainly capable. I still have a problem with the Adobe Macintosh-interfaces, with palettes all over the place, getting in the way of the image. I prefer the Windows-style docking interface of Corel Products.

I seldomly use Illustrator, since I prefer CorelDRAW for vectorial work. But Photoshop is hard to beat... It's just pretty expensive. For less then the price of Photoshop you have CorelDRAW and PhotoPAINT and keep some change 😉 Oh, CorelDRAW was also bundled with lot's of clipart and fonts, if you like that.
--- stefan boeykens --- bim-expert-architect-engineer-musician ---
Archicad27/Revit2023/Rhino8/Unity/Solibri/Zoom
MBP2023:14"M2MAX/Sonoma+Win11
Archicad-user since 1998
my Archicad Book