BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

Advice/ Critique

Anonymous
Not applicable
removed
6 REPLIES 6
Dwight
Newcomer
Like you want an essay on the myriad problems with this image.

Here's the main problem: lack of under-soffit lighting.

Create a sun object at -90 degrees and have it NOT cast shadows.
This is how you light the undersides of things.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Revised with under sun. Still not doing it. Any more advice would be greatly appreciated.
Dwight
Newcomer
— You said that you've backed the glazing. Let those spaces be rooms with curtains. Make the glass more reflective.

— make the reflecting pool [?? on the right?] water instead of flat.

— All the soffits are repeating patterns. Lose this pattern.

— look in the LightWorks archive for a better brick pattern. use a shader instead of a texture.

— likewise the concrete.

— with undersun, the soffits should be brighter - fix the blackness with a material change.

— if you are concerned about the dark foreground, add ambient light, a skyobject or change sun position. Or combine all three.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Dwight, Thanks, working on it. What is the difference between texture and shader? Never heard this.
Dwight
Newcomer
In your rendering, you see the repeats of an image used to replicate a surface texture. Archicad's ancient image library is full of poorly-made images that have not been manipulated to appear "seamless". They are obviously repeating - you sense each rectangular image.

A shader is a mathematically-generated pattern that is infinite and seamless. LightWorks has many of these in the archive where textural surfaces are represented by their image pattern and shaders by a spherical symbol.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Wow. For years I've been creating materials, never with these results. Is there anywhere I can get more of these files? Thank you for this tid bit. Can't wait until I get your book and find out how big of an idiot I've been.
Learn and get certified!