Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Aiming to an efficient DWG export

Vincent G_
Enthusiast
Hello,

I've been reading and testing a lot in order to create a DWG translator as clean as possible for our consultants. Overall they are satisfied with what we provide them but there is a couple of points I'd like to improve/understand better.

I feel like both are interconnected, so I'll first talk about the 2 points before going further.

First one is about the line style translation. Usually a .SHX file allows us to import DWGs in AC and show the lines as they are meant to be otherwise they all look solid.

Second one is about Model vs Layout once you open these DWG in let say Autodesk DWG TrueViewer.

My DWG translator under "Save Options" > Save layout into: was originally set as "Paper space with cropped View's content". I had 3 issue with this.

. When opening the DWG in TrueView, there was no translation of line types (all solid) and no SHX file created when publishing the DWG.

. In the Layout tab, things were showing the right way but a red outline is displayed around drawings, as a frame. For site plan I often need to overlay different part GA views to show things the way we want.

. The "model" tab show each drawing separated from each others. I mean by that, back to the site plan, the ground GA and roof GA are shown next to each other instead of on top.

I've explored the other available options as I had the feeling that it came from that particular setting. So I've changed "Save Options" > Save layout into: to "Model space" and this time a SHX file was created during publishing, no red outlines around drawings on the "Layout" tab, and the model shows information exactly as in my sheet, elements on top of each other like the drawings are set.

I'm still a newbie and I don't have sufficient experience from the consultants perspective, people using our DWGs with Autocad or Revit. Is there any advantage for them to provide DWGs set as "Paper space with cropped View's content"? From my architect point of view it seems like Model view export is more accurate and less confusing but I can't just assume.
2 REPLIES 2
DGSketcher
Legend
The most useful tips I have...

Create an Autocad.dwg reference file for the translator to sort out font issues. It’s still not a perfect export but a huge improvement. You will need Autocad or a clone to set up the dwg.
Export from model views and send a PDF of the layouts for reference. I add a written disclaimer that the PDFs take priority for content if there is a conflict.
If your layer management is good, then export everything “By layer”, if the dwg reference file is used you can set up colours & line types there.
Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
Vincent G_
Enthusiast
DGSketcher wrote:
The most useful tips I have...

Create an Autocad.dwg reference file for the translator to sort out font issues. It’s still not a perfect export but a huge improvement. You will need Autocad or a clone to set up the dwg.
Export from model views and send a PDF of the layouts for reference. I add a written disclaimer that the PDFs take priority for content if there is a conflict.
If your layer management is good, then export everything “By layer”, if the dwg reference file is used you can set up colours & line types there.
I'll have a look at that, thanks for the tips!