BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

Align view camera problem

Tom Krowka
Booster
Am working with align view....have set the two reference points on the plan, 4 ref. points on the photo. Have progressed to the point where a camera is placed. However, it is not placed at the point I took the pic from, but from one of the plan reference points.

Have tried it a couple of different times starting from different plan points, but camera always shows up on one of the plan references.

Any clues why camera is not placed correctly? Seems pretty simple and not a lot of roof for error but I guess I'm wrong about that too.

Thank, Tom
Tom Krowka Architect
Windows 11, AC Version 26
Thomas@wkarchwk.com
www.walshkrowka.com
11 REPLIES 11
Dwight
Newcomer
Interpreting the instructions is the trick.

Plan point, then base point in photo, then elevated point on photo, then second plan point…

For users just learning this trick, it is best to use a rendering of a simple rectangular wall as an image reference, not a site photo.
Dwight Atkinson
Dwight
Newcomer
the sequence
sequence.jpg
Dwight Atkinson
Tom Krowka
Booster
Did it that way but my camera ends up either right on top of point 1 or point 4. .....dammit.
Tom Krowka Architect
Thomas@wkarchwk.com
www.walshkrowka.com
Dwight
Newcomer
How can that be? It must be an incompatible graphics card. [joke].
Dwight Atkinson
Tom Krowka
Booster
Don't know how that can be. I'm going to call GS support on Tuesday. One of the bennies of the subscription program.

TK.
Tom Krowka Architect
Thomas@wkarchwk.com
www.walshkrowka.com
Karl Ottenstein
Exactly - use the free support you've paid for. But, for the record, Dwight's recommendation is highly advised - and NOT doing an actual site photo for the first attempt.

If you search the old threads here for 'align view' you'll find a lot of discussion about the issue of lens distortion when wide angle lenses are uses for the site photo. This can NOT be correctly interpretted by 'align view'. It is essential that as undistorted an image as possible is used. That may require a neutral lens and stitching multiple images together and/or various Photoshop corrections for things such as lens barrel distortion.

Good luck - this isn't an easy thing, and often better results are obtained via trial and error.

K
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Dwight
Newcomer
Stitching images together is a recipe for disaster unless using the shift lens method [preserving the exact viewpoint]. Once you've got two vanishing points in an image it is impossible to solve.
Dwight Atkinson
Tom Krowka
Booster
Only have one vanishing point, standard lens not a fish eye. The problem is not with distortion, but with the automatic camera placement.

TK.
Tom Krowka Architect
Thomas@wkarchwk.com
www.walshkrowka.com
Dwight
Newcomer
We sort of moved on to more general advice.
So what did Support say?
Dwight Atkinson
Learn and get certified!