BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.
SOLVED!

Aligning Project Rendering Views

toman311
Enthusiast
Hello,

I am trying to align two camera's in two different projects. In the first project, I did renders in. Then there were some major changes, so I started a whole new project and redid the whole model. I'm trying to align the camera in the new project to be exactly like the camera in the old project because I figured out could just reuse my old renders. Of course there will be the new building in place of the old building, but the surrounding environments would stay the same. This would greatly speed up rendering for this new, redone project.

The problem is it is not as simple as it sounds. I've been playing around with Camera settings and Parallel Project settings for around an hour and a half and I haven't been able to get that exact match. I'm a bit confused on this process. Does anybody have any advice and knowledge on doing this?

I tried adjusting the Camera Settings, the Sun Position, 3D Projection Settings, and the placement of the camera on the site plan. Still, even after trying to get an exact match, the camera still isn't right. The building has moved about 6 feet closer to the camera and has gotten close to 2 feet thinner on the left. The right side is cut off (on purpose) in the render. So, the building is in a somewhat similar location and I'm not expecting it to be perfect, but it needs to be close for the reusing of the old render environment.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding something or going about this wrong because I haven't been able to get the camera right. Any ideas?
>ArchiCAD 23, 7000 USA FULL

>iMac, 27-inch, 2020, Processor: 3.8 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i7, Memory: 64 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Graphics: AMD Radeon Pro 5500 XT 8 GB
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Barry Kelly
Can't you just copy and paste the old camera to the new file?

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Lingwisyer
Guru
When doing this, I tend to draw a line from the target point and camera location to a common point, then copy that across between the files. Then it just comes to matching the heights and camera settings, which is pretty simple. There shouldn't be any need to "play" around with the camera or view settings, as they should be the same.

You description of your new camera makes me think of a comparison of a wide angle lens to a telephoto when framed the same. I don't think ArchiCAD simulates that distortion though.

Ling.

EDIT: I was copying views between duplicates within the same file.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win11 | i9 10850K | 64GB | RX6600 Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660
Solution
Barry Kelly
Can't you just copy and paste the old camera to the new file?

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
toman311
Enthusiast
I think the copying camera technique worked! The 3D Projection settings aren't the same, but the new view does look similar to the original. I could try a render and see how they line up.
>ArchiCAD 23, 7000 USA FULL

>iMac, 27-inch, 2020, Processor: 3.8 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i7, Memory: 64 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Graphics: AMD Radeon Pro 5500 XT 8 GB
Learn and get certified!