BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

Alpha masks out of Cine4d

Anonymous
Not applicable
Does anyone know if it is possible to create an alpha mask for clipping a rendered image in cine4d similar to the way the Maxwell plug-in does? I've checked and unchecked the 'generate alpha mask for environment' button in general settings but this has no effect.
7 REPLIES 7
Eduardo Rolon
First guess. Check how you are saving the image PNG, Tiff and TGAs should create the Alpha Channel, JPGs will not.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Anonymous
Not applicable
Eduardo,

I always save as a tiff but with no such alpha being generated. I have tried all of the file formats with no luck either.
Do you know where it would save it to? Or where it would be generated?
I am used to Maxwell creating the alpha in a set location with image etc. This has always been invaluable when composition, particularly with tight or fine geometry.

Thanks

Dave
Eduardo Rolon
When you save the Image, click on options and…
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

another Moderator

Anonymous
Not applicable
Eduardo,

That works great, thanks. I foolishly kept looking for the option in the 'photo rendering settings', I didn't think to look in the 'save as' dialog options.
Do you know if there will be a release of a cine4d manual other than the videos? Little things like this would be so helpful!

Thanks again,

Dave
Eduardo Rolon
Don't feel foolish you looked in the right place for it, I did the same since you expect that there is a choice so that the computer does not spend time calculating the Alpha channel if it is not needed.

• The step you missed was in asking "where would it not make sense to put it?"

----
As to your other question the web Help file is actually quite good.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

another Moderator

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello, I have the same issue. I saved the render as a PNG color with alpha mask and when i open it in photoshop, the backround is not transparent!

am i missing something in the settings?
Anonymous
Not applicable
The background will still be there. In photoshop you will need to have the channels pane visible where you will find an additional channel other than RGB, you can use this to select the background and mask out

Scott
Learn and get certified!