BIMx
About BIMx (mobile, web and desktop), connection to BIMcloud, and related technical questions.

Alternatives to Google Cardboard

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi guys,
I was wondering do you know any working alternatives of Google Cardboard?
I'm not talking about HTV Vive or Oculus.
I just need a VR headset with better quality a plastic finish

There are tons of VR headsets between 20 and 80 EUROS but wanted to ask you about your experience with such before purchase.

Thanks!
6 REPLIES 6
Barry Kelly
Google Cardboard for BIMx has a touch sensitive button on top that activates the control button on the BIMx screen.
I am not sure if this is true of all Google Cardboard models or if it is just the ones put out by Graphisoft.

You will find that the plastic VR sets don't have this button so don't really work with BIMx - at least that is my experience.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
gpowless
Advocate
This is the one I purchased and it works fine. It even came with a remote control.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01E4XSX48/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Intel i7-6700@3.4GHz 16g
GeForce GTX 745 4g HP Pavilion 25xw
Windows 10 Archicad 26 USA Full
Stephen Dolbee
Booster
It looks like the one gpowless purchased has the button, although it is currently unavailable. Barry is right though, about the button. I just bought a very nice one on eBay, unaware of the need for a button. It was only $8.49 with free shipping. It is almost useless for BIMx unless I can drill a hole in it for my thumb to have access to the screen.
AC19(9001), 27" iMac i7, 12 gb ram, ATI Radeon HD 4850 512mb, OS 10.12.6
Anonymous
Not applicable
What about the remote controllers of most VR Headsets. Aren't they inheriting the functions of this button?
Stephen Dolbee
Booster
Mine came with a Bluetooth remote. It will control certain features of the phone, like volume up and down, but I couldn’t get it to work with BIMx.
Stephen Dolbee
Booster
Yesterday I drilled a 1inch dia. hole on the right side of my vr headset. Now my thumb has access to touch the screen when needed. Maybe not the best solution, but it works.