Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Angle Dimension tool greyed out

Richard Morgan
Participant

I'm drawing a simple 2D layout on Archicad22.

Angle Dimension Tool is greyed out.

It's worked fine on other drawings, how can I wake it up?

Dick Morgan

6 REPLIES 6
Karl Ottenstein

If you are on an actual Layout (vs a floor plan view making a building layout), the dimension tools are disabled.  Dimensioning should be done in a model view that is then placed on a Layout as a Drawing.

One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB

Also you can attach a screenshot describing your issue cuz you say ( you model ) so that I suppose you’re in project map view.

AC 27 INT 5003 - AC 26 INT 6019 ( For MEP Purposes )
AMD Ryzen 7 5800H with Radeon Graphics 3.20 GHz 16.0 GB

Thankyou for replying. Pleased to meet you.

You know how after asking a question one often finds the answer?

Well, I opened a new document  and copied my drawing into it and the problem disappeared.

Encouraged by that, I opened the old drawing up again. I think I must have been drawing on the Master Layout, which has nearly all the tools greyed out. But how I got into the Master and how to get out, I have no idea.

Must find out about that before I get trapped again! Have you any simple safeguards I might apply?

Yours gratefully, **beep** Morgan

cc Mahoud Quenawi 

Copy of reply to Karl Ottenstein:

Thankyou for replying. Pleased to meet you.

You know how after asking a question one often finds the answer?

Well, I opened a new document  and copied my drawing into it and the problem disappeared.

Encouraged by that, I opened the old drawing up again. I think I must have been drawing on the Master Layout, which has nearly all the tools greyed out. But how I got into the Master and how to get out, I have no idea.

Must find out about that before I get trapped again! Have you any simple safeguards I might apply?

Yours gratefully, Richard Morgan

Thank you Richard and me too happy to reply to you, ok as you know we have in Archicad four main work areas you can manage via the navigator pallet: 1) project map for preparing your model and dividing it to a number of stories, 2) view map for preparing how we want this model to be presented plans, elev, sec or schedules and filter every view based on some fields like layer comb, MVO, pen colors and so on, 3) layout book for preparing how is the views’ final presentation for example in Con Docs , 4) publisher for preparing the layout/s for printing or saving as DWG or PDF and so on, this is the sequence of work in Archicad so feel free to use all 3D & 2D tools in 1 & 2 phases then you will deal with the view as a drawing and every modification in the model will be updated in the layout drawing either manually or auto, this is modeling concept in Archicad from my view point and I hope it helps.

AC 27 INT 5003 - AC 26 INT 6019 ( For MEP Purposes )
AMD Ryzen 7 5800H with Radeon Graphics 3.20 GHz 16.0 GB

Screenshot for your reference.

ryejuan_1-1654843520673.png

In the end what is your Objective?
ArchiCAD 9 onwards