Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Any Suggestions for creating a Joist Framing Plan?

Anonymous
Not applicable
A self-explanatory question, really.
Ive searched the posts, to no avail.

This is for a residential project, using TJI joists.
Any takers? Thanks in advance.
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable
There are several ways:

Make a seperate story for your framing plans. Turn on ghost story for reference below. When your done put 2 drawings on plotmaker aligned on top of one another. One is your floor plan w/o all of the notations etc. The second is the framing plan. Select the floor plan and set the pens and colors to a thin line wt. The effect is a screened plan underneath. Then you can update both drawings at once and everything stays up-to-date.

The other way is to do it by turning on or off layers. I don't use this method anymore.
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
LINZ wrote:
A self-explanatory question, really.
Ive searched the posts, to no avail.
This is for a residential project, using TJI joists.
Any takers? Thanks in advance.

LINZ:

I use layers to show walls and other essential elements, most others (fixtures, etc) are off. The Display Option for Doors & Windows is set to Reflected Ceiling so the openings but not the doors and windows themselves are displayed. My framing plan of the second floor is shown on the first floor level, so I can place the beams needed to support the second floor framing over the first floor openings. I have vectorial fills for 12", 16" and 24" line spacing, background set to transparent, for the framing (2x, TJI, trusses) itself, using the Link to Fill Origin option so I can control the direction and start point for the framing. The method you choose will depend on the information you want to show, so some combination of the various methods may be best for your situation.

HTH

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Anonymous
Not applicable
Do a search of the archives for TJI joists. You will find that trussjoist system has a complete library, to make it simple to add their joists to the plan. They even have textures for rendering the layout in 3d. The download is free.