BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

ArchiCAD 15 Element Classification

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi all,

When you model a new object in ArchiCAD, by going to Object Selection Setting you have the option to define the Element Classification but the problem is there are limited options to choose among.

The question is, is there any way to add new types to this classification?
9 REPLIES 9
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
The Element Classification parameter is based on IFC Element Types so those types are available, and no other option can be added. I guess this is for IFC compatibility purposes.
When the list appears, the last item is called "More". If you click it the full list of choices appears which is quite a bit more options.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank for your response.
yes I checked that but there were no classification for electrical equipment as an example.
so, is that mean the IFC is not completely developed yet?

by the way, I clicked on report spam instead of quote by mistake. I am really sorry about it.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Yes, it is possible that only the Architectural, Structural and HVAC related IFC Element Types can be set. There is thing called Electrical Element in IFC but I cannot see it in the list.

Never mind the misclick, the buttons are a bit crowded, it is easy to miss, happened to others as well.
Anonymous
Not applicable
So, basically we cant add a new element type.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Yes.
Anonymous
Not applicable
OK. Thank you very much
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello,
Excuse me for reviving an old post... but I have a follow up question regarding Element Classification.
It is understood that this Element Classification is for IFC purposes; we are currently trying to figure out the best strategies for IFC import/ export. The question is, if we change the Element classification from "ArchiCAD Type" to "Wall" or "Ceiling" for example, does this affect our ArchiCAD model in any way? We don't want it to change any part of how our model displays, or change any way that we are documenting the building.
Thanks!
-Michael
Archicad 18
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
It won't change the model.
This is just one parameter of ArchiCAD elements. Its main use is in IFC export. Since sometimes one has to model a given element (e.g. a Ceiling) with another Tool (e.g. a Slab), or e.g. you might model a sloping Slab using a Roof or Mesh or Morph because those provide the proper geometry. With this parameter you can classify what element type (a Slab) the given model element (Roof or Mesh or Morph) represents. Also it will export to the correct IFC Category.
So no worries about unintended changes in the model.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Excellent!
Thanks so much for the response. We have noticed that being more specific on the element classification as we export to IFC produces slightly better results.
Best,
Michael
Learn and get certified!