Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

ArchiCAD 22 - Twinmotion 2019 DirectLink

cgrimley
Contributor
For the life of me, I cannot get an ArchiCAD model to open in Twinmotion 2019. I've installed the Twinmotion plugin, I've got Twinmotion installed. I have a 3D window open (tried both perspective and axonometric view) and I hit the 'directlink' option from the pull down menu. Twinmotion opens a blank file, and Archicad just gives me a 'Synchronization with Twinmotion' progress box. Nothing happens. I've waited for 30+ minutes. It's a very simple model.

Any thoughts?
Casey Grimley
AC24
iMac Pro (2017) - macOS 10.14.6- 3.2GHz Intel Xeon W - 32GB RAM - Radeon Pro Vega 56 8GB
13 REPLIES 13
Karl Ottenstein
It's all instantaneous for me... and I'm on a Mac as well.

Just to check everything... when you do About for your copy of Twinmotion - do you see Version 2019.4.3990 (6.6.6.3990)? When I first downloaded from the unreal web site, it took multiple updates to get to the current version.

Also, did you update the plugin from here? https://www.unrealengine.com/en-US/twinmotion/plugins?sessionInvalidated=true

Epic/Unreal didn't properly sign the Mac package, so you get warned about that. The plugin was recently updated.

Menu or the palette button both work for direct link for me... when Twinmotion opens, it gives the option of an existing (previously saved *.t m file for the current .pln) or New Project. Pick New Project.

Granted, I've just played with a tiny project and have never seen a progress bar, just an instant opening of the model in Twinmotion. Try just a few walls or something to make sure the connection is OK and that it isn't an issue with your model?
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
cgrimley
Contributor
Karl, getting back to you on this. I don't seem to ever get a notification about responses, and I don't come in and check very often. We gave up trying the directlink because we couldn't get it to work from several computers. We've updated everything, followed all the instructions [url]here[/https://www.graphisoft.com/archicad/twinmotion/] and still had no luck.
We gave up and save the 3D to a Twinmotion file then import into Twinmotion, which sucks every time we make a change to the model.

I've tried again today with Twinmotion 2020 and still get the same problem. ArchiCAD just says "Synchronization with Twinmotion" and nothing ever happens.
I've tried with just 4 walls and same thing.
Twinmotion opens instantly but doesn't show anything. Zooming out doesn't show anything either.
No security prompts from MacOS.
Casey Grimley
AC24
iMac Pro (2017) - macOS 10.14.6- 3.2GHz Intel Xeon W - 32GB RAM - Radeon Pro Vega 56 8GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Same here. Archicad 23
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi All,

Thank you for sharing the issue and I am truly sorry for the experience!

Unfortunately, I cannot replicate this issue. We also had only one similar report in our database. From that case, we learned that this is a computer-specific issue. Something may block the connection between ARCHICAD and Twinmotion. I would like to check if there is any Firewall or Anti-virus program running on your machine(s)?

The truth is, Direct Link add-on is developed by Epic Games. Unfortunately, we have little control to how the add-on is written

I suggest you contact Epic Games first via their official help channel in order to get their answer for this question: https://twinmotionhelp.epicgames.com/s

Unfortunately, as I am writing this, I notice that this issue has been raised here. It seems like this issue affects a number of users, so I do hope that Epic Games will address it soon!

Let me know if the above suggestions help. Once again, I am very sorry for the inconvenience!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT

cgrimley
Contributor
Thanks for the reply Minh. I've tried it on several machines here in our office. No firewall, no anti-virus software.
I'm using an iMac (specs in signature), and I've tried it on an iMac Pro (Late 2017, 8 Core, base model) and had the same issue.
I've commented on that thread in the Epic Games forum. I'm going to try to uninstall Epic Games completely and reinstall it.
Casey Grimley
AC24
Barry Kelly
It may appear as an empty scene in TM, but you model may just be out of view.
Zoom out, pan around and you may find it.
I am sure there is a zoom to all command somewhere - I just don't have it with me at the moment.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
cgrimley
Contributor
I've done all that Barry, with small simple models and larger ones. Nothing.
Casey Grimley
AC24
cgrimley
Contributor
I thought I'd give it a try on my personal computer to see if it would work.
(Mac Pro 2010, 2x3.46Ghz 6 core Intel Xeon, 28GB RAM, Radeon RX 580 8GB, MacOS Mojave 10.14.6)
It worked as it should.

This leads me to believe that either I have an app or setting on my work iMac that is causing the direct link to fail. Any suggestions on where to start? I've reinstalled Epic Launcher and Twinmotion twice now. My next thought is to reinstall Archicad.
Casey Grimley
AC24
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi Casey,

We are not sure exactly why it is happening. There is a hotfix for Twinmotion that has been released today (2020.1.1), could you give it a try to see if this fixes the issue on the problematic machine? Thank you very much!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT