Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

ArchiCAD deleting viewsets!

bigE
Participant
Some Help or suggestions here would be greatly appreciated.

I have a teamwork project running in AC9. This project has hundreds of viewsets... well at least it used to... ArchiCAD has somehow deleted random viewsets. Only random section and or detail viewsets to be exact. All the viewsets created from the plan view are intact.

This is not a case of someone accidently deleting them either. There are a few of the vieswets left, but it has deleted the majority of them. Everything is intact on the project map, just the viewsets are gone!

This can't be a sharing problem with the viewsets cause they were all created as the Team Leader. And they were just there yesterday, hell i think they were there this morning. Sometime today they disappeared. It's a little hard to pinpont when they got deleted beacuse they are anywhere from 1-8 people working on the project at the same time. I keep the last 10 autosaves but it happened before that because they all were missing the viewsets.

Could have plotmaker somehow gone back through and deleted them? How could this have happened? Anyone have any help and or suggestions?

Now i have to go figure out what is going to take less time.. Go through the tape backup and get the latest one with the viewsets intact and just copy changed information back into the project? since Graphisoft had the great foresight to include the "feature" that enables you NOT to import viewsets into a project. Or do I take all the time to recreate that many viewsets? With a deadline approaching on a 20million $$ project in less than a week and many people working long hours this is a bit of a problem... Were talking almost a hundred sections, 100 casework elevations, plan details, notes.... etc. etc....

This is the second time this has happened (the first time there were far less viewsets), and now i'm about to resort to drastic measures. Like moving to Autodesk products. I hate the "evil empire" as much as the next guy. But AC9 has been very unstable for me in teamwork mode and Plotmaker seems to give me fits everytime i turn around (especially in a teamwork application). Its getting frustrating.

Eric
AC9 running on Winblows
13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable
We have experienced this as well. Was there a switch in the team leader when the view sets went missing?. We never could determine the cause, but suspect that it may be caused by a switch in the person acting as the team leader. (a change in name) Because of this we now always sign in with the name "Team Leader" when someone needs to take this function.
bigE
Participant
yes... i think i've narrowed the problem... we had another user sign in as team leader... under his username... like always... he turned on the option to "show my workspace only".... seems that is the only views that are left in the team project are the views that showed up when he had shown his own workspace. i went to to his machine, signed in under his username, and they didn't return so they are obviously gone... at least to what i can see.

making the call to grpahisoft now.
TomWaltz
Participant
Yes, "show my workspace only" can be SERIOUSLY detrimental to View Sets....

We actually maintain a fake "TeamLeader" user in all projects, who has ownership of any viewsets used This way, only someone intentionally signing in as that user (not just as the "team leader" role) can modify those viewsets.
Tom Waltz
bigE
Participant
great.... maybe graphisoft should put that in the manual... this is really detremental to a large project that is end the end of construction documents...
bigE
Participant
i think i'm going to go back to the last plp that i have with the viewsets... make a solo... and copy the changed info back...

when i reteamwork the file what should i do? make a "teamleader" username and make the viewsets only accessible by that sign in?

thanks for everyones help... it's much appreciated...

if someone signs in as a user and has "show my workspace only" enabled can it still affect the viewsets? or does it only happen when they are team leader?
TomWaltz
Participant
if someone signs in as a user and has "show my workspace only" enabled can it still affect the viewsets? or does it only happen when they are team leader?
Viewsets are always owned by the person who created them. If "bsmith" creates a viewset "Bobs Viewset", and that viewset is the one being used by everyone for CDs, then only bsmith can make changes to that viewset, regardless of who signs in as Team Leader.

If bsmith signs in with "Show my workspace only," "Bobs Viewset" will be trashed. If someone else signs in, Team Leader or not, and uses "Show my workspace only", "Bobs Viewset" will not be touched.

For more info on Teamwork and Viewsets, see
http://tr.graphisoftus.com/faq_entry_details.asp?id=793
http://www.graphisoft.com/ftp/pdf/CreatingDatabases_Final.pdf

You should also take a look at the Teamwork Guide PDF on your installation CD.
Tom Waltz
bigE
Participant
thanks tom...

i pretty much knew that thats how they worked... our problem seemed to be that we had multiple usernames signing in as team leader... didn't seem to cause any problems, each person would go in, do the viewsets. if we added more or changed existing ones each user would have to be team leader to make changes...

it seems that "bsmith" signed in with team leader rights... with all the viewsets intact (beacuse they were there before the project was teamworked, so the team leader can only change them)... then showed his workspace only.. and when he sent and received changes.. voila! the only viewsets that were left in the project were the ones in his workspace... not good...

now i guess i will make sure that there is a user named "viewleader" and that sign in will only be used to create the viewsets for the project. and i'll make sure that no one uses that view and says "show my workspace only"

thanks for the first link... havn't read that...
the second one i've checked out before...

it's too much work to keep track of all these bugs... 😉
TomWaltz
Participant
it's too much work to keep track of all these bugs... Wink
The scary part is that I do not think that is a bug... they intended it to work that way....
Tom Waltz
bigE
Participant
thats not cool...

why would they make "show your workspace only" enable the great "feature" that automatically deletes your viewsets with no warning...