Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

Archicad 20 render much slower

terzer
Contributor
Hello,
I recently upgraded to Archicad 20, from Archicad 19. I noticed a problem.

The Archicad 20 render is much, much slower than the Archicad 19 with the same settings. I tried numerous projects, tried different raytracing engines, with and without quick preview, no cigar. It's about 20-30% slower, no matter the setting. For example, simple scene, 3 story building with few trees, AC19 took 3:04, AC20 took 5:14. There is no difference in the quality of the rendered images between 19 and 20.
A colleague of mine also reports that it is slower.
I'm thinking if this is caused from merging specular and reflection in reflectance.

I'm on a fresh Windows 10 64bit install. Updated all drivers, also updated Archicad 20 to 4009, nothing. I'm on INT version. Memory usage is almost the same, there are no leaks.

I'm on a laptop:
i7 3610QM 2.3Ghz
8gb Ram
650m 2gb VRAM
7 REPLIES 7
Barry Kelly
Have you exported your render scene setting from 19 and then imported them into 20?
Or are you just using a scene with the same name - it may well have different settings somewhere by default.

I would try exporting/importing a setting from 19 to 20 just so you can be sure you are using exactly the same settings.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
terzer
Contributor
Barry wrote:
Have you exported your render scene setting from 19 and then imported them into 20?
Or are you just using a scene with the same name - it may well have different settings somewhere by default.

I would try exporting/importing a setting from 19 to 20 just so you can be sure you are using exactly the same settings.

Barry.
I migrated the AC19 project to AC20 and manually compared every setting between the two versions.
Barry Kelly
Sorry I didn't realise that the render scenes where saved with each file.
I just tested and it seems they are.
So the settings must be the same in both versions apart from anything that Graphisoft have changed.
So it could well be from the merging specular and reflection in reflectance but I couldn't say for sure.

I don't do a lot of rendering myself and I am not really using version 20 yet.
However I will see if I can run some test files later to see if I have the same issue.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
justdhruv
Contributor
we are also having similar performance issues with AC20.
ArchiCAD 20. MacBook Pro 17", 2010
+ core i7 4970k Hackintosh
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi, everyone, because of the changes in the Cinerender engine, I will suggest not to import settings or surfaces from AC 19, because this could be causing the slow down, I haven't try this, and haven't had this issue yet, but if I were you I would do a scene to test,the same exact thing, but one done in AC19 and the other completely done in AC20, and use a preset like "outdoor daylight physical" (or anyone but the same) and make the test this way to see if AC20 is really slower or there is something wrong with any setting or something.

I might make that test one day I would like to see that.
justdhruv
Contributor
really appreciate your offer. meanwhile only yesterday there is a video about the cine render on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VKLRxF73vk

changing the setting did help.
ArchiCAD 20. MacBook Pro 17", 2010
+ core i7 4970k Hackintosh
Did Graphisoft update their SSA Cinerender Surfaces for v20?
Think Like a Spec Writer
AC4.55 through 27 / USA AC27-4060 USA
Rhino 8 Mac
MacOS 14.2.1