Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

Archicad 25 Redshift

Thomas Holm
Booster
Hi all!
In David Tomic’s youtube introduktion to AC25,
He mentions ”Redshift” as an upcoming (later) rendering option (at least in Australia). .
As I’ve never heard of this, I’d very much appreciate if someone would enlighten me on this subject. I seem to be unable to find any info on Graphisoft.com.
A link perhaps? Or does anyone know more?

AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
27 REPLIES 27
Podolsky
Ace
Redshift is a new generation rendering solution by Maxon.
It uses most likely light calculation algorithm called Monte Carlo or Metropolis Light Transport or some modification of it. It's more precise photon distribution algorithm, that achieves next level of photo-realism. Very typical set for this sort of renderings - GPU powered, support of really huge scenes, natural subsurface-scattering, natural materials libraries (shading), natural motion blur etc.
Pioneers of commercial renders was Maxwell Render, then Felix, then Arnold... So today it's quite long list of different software that doing more-less the same. They all working on the same principle - to make renders there as simple as take a digital photo but they all take a lot of CPU or GPU power. So you need good video card to get fast render.
At this time this is a solution from Maxon.
This is good news. I was writing about it - that modern rendering engine is needed.

https://www.redshift3d.com/product
Thomas Holm
Booster
Interesting!
I’d also like to hear from someone who’s used it.
I’ve got the top MacBookPro with the Amd 550 GPU. I want to use the Mac and Redshift seems to be available.
Currently I’m using Twinmotion for renderings for clients. Although it crashes a lot, its speed and ease of use amazes me. Some critizise it’s quality but it is quite enough for my use. Its speed lets me tweak the images in a way that there’s simply no time for me to do with cinema4D, for example. But I’m a bit reluctant to bet the company on TwinM because of the Epic games - Apple dispute. And I was thinking another GPU renderer like Redshift might work - if it’s fast?
Podolsky
Ace
Yes, problem of Twinmotion is rendering quality. Because it uses really old rendering techniques - I guess radiocity. Radiocity it was algorithm, developed in 60-ies to calculate spread of radiation. It based on the fact, that each part of surface can become emitter or electromagnetic waves (alfa, beta, gamma...). In computers radiocity started to use in images production and was one of the first (maybe first) global illumination algorithm. It actually divides each surface into mesh and each cell of the mesh becoming a small lamp. Algorithm calculates how the light energy is coming from the primary source (sun, sky, lamps) and redistributes between cells of mentioned mesh.
20 years ago Twinmotion would look like science fiction software from the future, today it just a software. Exists better on the market.
runxel
Legend
Now that is a thrilling topic.
I also wondered about the future of Cinerender (or Cineware as its called now) and if GS will do the switch again.

Maxon, the company of Cinemax4D, who also is part of the Nemetschek family, axquired Redshift in 2019. And while back Maxon promised that "nothing would change" – well of course it did.
Following this article Maxon has stopped the development of its ProRender, which was their own take on the world of GPU-accelerated rendering, and even removed it from C4D alltogether, but also halted the development of the integrated renderer [physical and standard] (!).
So their master plan is to substitute all of their original 3 renderers with Redshift.

And since GS has this kind of cooperation with Maxon they (we) will be affected too, obviously.
Let's see if and when GS drops the surprise.
Lucas Becker | AC 27 on Mac | Author of Runxel's Archicad Wiki | Editor at SelfGDL | Developer of the GDL plugin for Sublime Text |
«Furthermore, I consider that Carth... yearly releases must be destroyed»
Thomas Holm
Booster
Podolsky wrote:
Yes, problem of Twinmotion is rendering quality. Because it uses really old rendering techniques - I guess radiocity….
I’m sorry, TwinM doesn’t use radiosity. And I find its quality sufficient. Speed is premium for me.
But I started this thread to find some more info about Archicad’s plansfor redshift.
Anybody?
Thomas Holm
Booster
runxel wrote:
that is a thrilling topic.
Let's see if and when GS drops the surprise.
They obviously have, in Australia. I just want more, here!
Anonymous
Not applicable
IMHO I don't see any advantage for Architects to use AC internal engines (Say Cinerender, Redshift, Maxwell or whatever) to present their projects. I mean: The idea of having to built an object/texture library from scratch that will in the end be way inferior of what TM, Enscape and Lumion offer doesn't make sense to me. Specially with these new real time render plugins.
My 2cts.
mikas
Expert
ProRender was very promising, but I see it's not gonna be in Maxon (C4D) portfolio anymore, and definitely never gonna make it to ArchiCAD. I kind of liked it while it was momentarily there in C4D. I did a few experiments with it in the early days.

Now I am on TwinMotion. Like above, I feel it's sufficient quality and really fast. I mean fast it is. Like instant.

Sure I can get better looking results with CineRender, but that would take days or even weeks to render sometimes. With TM I am ready-set-go in hours or a couple of days maybe. That is if the model and the materials are structured ideally for this purpose in the beginning. And now they are, at least with us they do.

I agree TwinMotion is not the top notch renderer there is out in there available today. Epic is not going to stop development though, so we might see their newest game engine enhancements in TM too. At least I hope so.

Please Youtube yourself and go and see "nanite" and "lumen" features in Unreal Engine 5 prerelease gaming engine. Truly awesome development, I must say.

I think I need to install that stuff for myself to experiment with it.

And RedShift is good stuff, I have studied it, and seen a couple of demos too.
AC25, Rhino6/7+Grasshopper, TwinMotionMac Pro 6,1 E5-1650v2-3,5GHz/128GB/eGPU:6800XT/11.6.5 • HP Z4/Xeon W-2195/256GB/RX6800XT/W10ProWS
mikas
Expert
I don't feel very confindent about TwinMotion rigth now..

https://twinmotionhelp.epicgames.com/s/question/0D54z0000749rsQCAQ/is-a-direct-link-available-from-a...

https://twinmotionhelp.epicgames.com/s/question/0D54z000073ZCLzCAO/archicad-version-25-was-just-rele...

But we are early on with this I think. Let's calm down and wait for a moment. I would like to see alternatives even though RedShift seems a competent defender to all the others. We need some choice.

Sorry a little OffTopic.
AC25, Rhino6/7+Grasshopper, TwinMotionMac Pro 6,1 E5-1650v2-3,5GHz/128GB/eGPU:6800XT/11.6.5 • HP Z4/Xeon W-2195/256GB/RX6800XT/W10ProWS