Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Archicad & the Metaverse

Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner

I wonder how Archicad will compete in the metaverse?

I think it's going to be increasingly easy to build beautiful structures without real-world limitations or clients to worry about. There will be as much, if not much more, money to be made in virtual worlds than in the real world. The first virtual building has also sold for approximately $512,000 and it will never be built. Or perhaps we sell our models as NFTs along with our real-world deliverables. 

I have personally already bought 4 lots in SuperWorld and am eyeing up Victoria VR (the first hyper-realistic virtual, unreal engine powered, blockchain world which is about to drop early next year) next. It's early days, but the digital land rush has begun. Buildings can be sold or rented, or advertising  / augmented reality rights can be leased, in multiple worlds.

Web 3.0 is just around the corner. Is anyone else planning to stake a claim? Do you think Archicad will play a big part in it?

Would love to hear more opinions!

Cheers,

Link.

69 REPLIES 69
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner

Not all virtual worlds are trying to mimic real life. Some are deliberately not and that’s a significant point. That’s the thing about the metaverse, IMHO; you can find in it whatever you want. 

My point in creating this thread is to ask what role Archicad will play in it. I think there’s a massive opportunity to create all types of models for other worlds, but I would love to see an Archicad World. I see that archicadworld.com is taken so perhaps it’s underway?🙏

One thing is for sure: “the architectural language we have grown so fond of in the real world will be completely rewriten here”!😎

Cheers!

Hi Link.   With current Archicad workflow i definitely have my doubts. I mean, any bimx model is already a virtual world in itself right? but with the intent of being build in the real world.  

I imagine these worlds as dynamic forms completely driven by data and user input, with algorithms suited for each user, so no one will experience the same thing even if they are withing the same "design".  

At some point of course, these data driven dynamic forms should cristalze in a static form to be experienced more or less like we do in real life, like so called "3d slices" out of 4d realms. Still, this should happen automatically with infinite iterations.

So to conclude, i think in its current form, is not like Archicad cannot be in the metaverse, quite the contrary, its just that i think the buildings done in it will be simple static 3d models uploaded in to the cloud as simple or as complex as they could be, specially if they try to upload buildings intended for the real world into the metaverse or whatever it will be called. If this should be the case, that is, simple static 3d models, i would personally find it very boring. But ill begin with grasshopper anyway

Don't Look Up... at the Metaverse!    https://youtu.be/vBXjzrUs0x8     

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner

I think it can be whatever you want it to be, really. I’ll be looking for a world where full Archicad models can be placed on virtual lots and interacted with. Hopefully they will house users or be used for events. 

BIMx is not a world just a platform where single modes can be viewed. Archicad World could be something fantastic. In the meantime I’ll be looking at Decentraland and SuperWorld and eagerly await what Epic comes out with. 

Cheers,

Link. 

Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner

Satire, and an entertaining movie, but please let us know if you come up with anything constructive. 💡

The reason this topic is difficult to discus on this forum is because the technical aspects of it can not be separated from the more important aspects of its implementation  - which are political.

This is a preview of where the Omniverse is going.  "Open/Free" anything and everything is a trap.  And another tool being used in to suck all the real money out of the real world and send it into a black hole.   

qrcode_blogs.nvidia.com.png

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/omniverse/

https://youtu.be/qF7hyCUa1kQ   

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/omniverse/architecture-engineering-construction/  

How to get Archicad models into the cutting edge modeling and rendering programs has always been the one thing Graphisoft seems to deliberately avoid.  For example the most important link we had to the cutting edge  .fbx   they have abandon.   When they do things like that they have some explaining to do I think. 

Pathway to the Metaverse is the NVIDIA Omniverse

SteveJepson_0-1641322385096.png

Whenever there are radical leaps forward in technology, there will be winners and losers as it is implemented.   

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

@Steve Jepson wrote:

How to get Archicad models into the cutting edge modeling and rendering programs has always been the one thing Graphisoft seems to deliberately avoid.  For example the most important link we had to the cutting edge  .fbx   they have abandon.   When they do things like that they have some explaining to do I think. 

As mentioned already several times on this web site, it was not Graphisoft that abandoned the FBX format. It could not have since it was not the company developing it. The Twinmotion Connection has always been developed by Twinmotion and it was their decision to abandon the FBX export option in favor of the *.udatasmith format. You may go to their forum and let them know that you wish to have the FBX format back in the Twinmotion Connection.

Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27

Twinmotion connection was our access to FBX in the same way the "unsupported add-ons" are our access to the functionality the makes Archicad viable for many users.  If I need FBX files the process is just a little different now and does not involve Twinmotion anymore which was only a bridge anyway.   Graphisoft would do well I think to make a study of how Archicad users are getting our models into the file formats we need to use with a lot of other programs.   I thing they have to some degree, and have perhaps paid off other software companies to make it more difficult in order to keep Archicad viable.   I don't know.   But having watched this program develop in relation to other programs for decades, I do have an opinion about what I have observed.  

Qubits Building Sets
Contributor

Then someday the plug will be pulled and the power bill will be overdue 🤣

Meta
Newcomer

Glad to see others interested in this space. I'll look at your links. We should nurture this conversation for the benefit of the whole community. Undoubtedly, Graphisoft is working on a Metaverse strategy as we speak.