Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Archicad on Mac Studio?

genarch
Enthusiast

Has anyone run Archicad on a new Mac Studio? If so how was the performance?

Mac OSX 11.6.8

AC26, Artlantis 2020, TwinMotion

iMac Pro 2017 / 8-core 3.2 GHz / 32GB RAM
37 REPLIES 37
blgp
Booster

Yes, two times the following one:

M1 Max mit 10‑Core CPU, 32‑Core GPU und 16‑Core Neural Engine, 64 GB, 1 TB SSD

But we have only started testing and in a week I can say more. Both workstations had an iMac i9 from 2019 with 40 GB RAM, 1 TB SSD before.
We won't do time measurements specifically, but will mainly work on the large, currently very sluggish projects.

Rick Thompson
Expert

This is a response from GS for what it might be worth >>>

As the Mac Studio computer is unproven in the market, and we haven't concluded our testing, it's not prudent to give a green light on recommending it.

That said, if it becomes approved by our testing and is proven in the market, below is the Mac Studio configuration that would likely be recommended for most Archicad users with one or two monitors/displays:

• Processor: Apple M1 Max with 10-core CPU, 24-core GPU, 16-core Neural Engine (A higher number of GPU cores would likely be unwarranted for most Archicad users using one or two monitors/displays)
  • Memory: 32 GB (Mid-range Archicad project size (Apartment and office buildings) and detail) or 64 GB (High-range Archicad project size (High rises, hospitals, campuses) and detail)
  • Storage: 1 TB or higher (Though a 512 GB machine may suit some users, a storage drive of 1 TB or higher in size will allow for numerous larger applications to be installed; keeping the storage drive from becoming overly full will maintain optimal performance)

Rick Thompson
Mac Sonoma AC 26
http://www.thompsonplans.com
Mac M2 studio w/ display
Rick Thompson
Expert

That was from March 22

Rick Thompson
Mac Sonoma AC 26
Mac M2 studio w/ display

Thanks for posting that. I just ordered one last week, with 32 core GPU and 64G of memory.

Robert Wilkanowski
Archicad 27
Mac OS Monterey
Hardware: M1 Max with 10-core CPU, 32-core GPU, 16-core Neural Engine, 64GB unified memory
1TB SSD storage
Rick Thompson
Expert

Great.. please post your results.  I have a 2017 iMac/27" and it seems to have some old system level junk interfering so it's matter of wiping and a clean install.. or move on to a new computer.  A new one seems like a much better idea than doing all that work 🙂  The new Studio monitor sounds pretty nice too.

Rick Thompson
Mac Sonoma AC 26
Mac M2 studio w/ display

No one going with the M1 Ultra, aka The Big Guns? I’ll be transitioning from an iMac Pro. 

Mac OSX 11.6.8

genarch
Enthusiast

Another poster here posted on another issue but as a side note was complaining a lot about the performance of Archicad on an M1 Max chip: Mac M1 Max and Archicad 25 bug in 3D

Doesn't make me feel good about moving to Apple's chips...

Mac OSX 11.6.8

David Shorter
Advisor

I find this reply from Graphisoft very strange  "As the Mac Studio computer is unproven in the market, and we haven't concluded our testing, it's not prudent to give a green light on recommending it." Apple silicon has been around for nearly 2 years and THAT is the issue. Apple are going over completely to their own chips and that is the question being asked, not which computer but when will Archicad be able to run natively on Apple silicon.

I literally can't run the latest Apple OS so I HAVE to get a new computer.

I wouldn't get a intel Mac mini because the spec is too low

I wouldn't get an intel based Mac Pro because the spec is too high (and its old tech)

All the remaining Mac products use Apple Silicon

So what choice do I have ! Its time to take Apple Silicon seriously

Archicad 4.1 to 27 Apple Silicon
you can't build a line
Mac Studio
iPad Pro
iPhone
genarch
Enthusiast

I find it strangely upsetting. What I would like to hear is Graphisoft’s timeline for getting Archicad to run natively on Apple silicon. 

Mac OSX 11.6.8