BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

Archicad or photoshop?

Aime
Newcomer
I am currently working on a painting scheme for this project. it was drawn in my pre-archicad days but client wants a paint study to enable make up his mind. The question is this would it be better done in photoshop or would an archicad model do the job? I'm not very conversant with photoshop but I wonder if it would be faster - the AC model is taking much time than expected. or is there a better way to achieve this?
[/img]

DSC03319a.JPG
Have you seen the light?
AC 12, AC14, win 7, Hp pavillion dv6 2.4Ghz, 4gb Ram
18 REPLIES 18
Dwight
Newcomer
ten minutes in Photoshop.

You lasso or path-define your area selections and place new colors using the "color" blending mode, so that underlying buildling details aren't obscured..

Can't touch that any other way.

Photoshop Express now free.
pink.jpg
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
If you're just doing the colour scheme then way easier to do it in photoshop - and it's the best way of learning photoshop as well, at least it was for me. there are tons of photoshop tutorial websites - psdtuts.com is a good start.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Definitely Photoshop!
Aime
Newcomer
So photoshop it is. Would check out the tutorial website and photoshop express.
..so that underlying buildling details aren't obscured..
I actually want the flat walls to be to covered with opaque paint while the stone tiles retain their relief but not their colour. I hope this can be achieved with photoshop ..easily.
Have you seen the light?
AC 12, AC14, win 7, Hp pavillion dv6 2.4Ghz, 4gb Ram
Dwight
Newcomer
Sure. The usual mode is "normal" - like an opaque paint.

But: you don't necessarily want this even if you want to cover the walls - vary the opacity of the paint to let something show through or the building will not model correctly.
Dwight Atkinson
Stress Co_
Advisor
Dwight wrote:
Photoshop Express now free.
Any idea how Photoshop Express compares with Photoshop Elements? ($89.99 USD retail).
Is that a "strait" fascia?
Marc Corney, Architect
Red Canoe Architecture, P. A.

Mac OS 10.15.7 (Catalina) //// Mac OS 14.2.1 (Sonoma)
Processor: 3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 //// Apple M2 Max
Memory: 48 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 //// 32 GB
Graphics: Radeon Pro 580X 8GB //// 12C CPU, 30C GPU
ArchiCAD 25 (5010 USA Full) //// ArchiCAD 27 (4030 USA Full)
Dwight
Newcomer
It costs almost $90.00 less.

Looks like it is aimed at photo retouch people wooed by other free stuff -- like usual.

http://education.zdnet.com/?p=1600

http://blogs.adobe.com/jnack/2007/09/photoshop_expre.html

http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshopexpress/

I am considered funny not because i have a strait fascia but because I have a rubber fascia.
Dwight Atkinson
Karl Ottenstein
Since Aime wants to try several color variations - does Express or Elements allow saving of all of the different masks for the various surfaces as you might do in the full product (or in Piranesi)? Without that, it could be somewhat tedious to repaint the variations - although I suppose you could just use magic wand on the painting layers. Duh...

Re: opaque - Aime, while you would want opaque to hide the construction issues in the flat walls - if you paint opaquely, you will lose the blend of the shadows...and so will have to repaint your shadows.

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Dwight
Newcomer
How good does this have to be?

I hate to be the luddite, but have you considered prismacolor?
Dwight Atkinson
Learn and get certified!