Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Area text rotation and other gripes

Anonymous
Not applicable
There is a bug with ArchiCAD that has persisted for longer than I can remember, that is even longer than the quick layers palette disappearing for no reason.

When you set the angle of area text for a fill, it doesn't mater whether you set it using relative or absolute, it will rotate when you change the view rotation. There is no way around this other than to recreate the fill.

I have a number of (seemingly) identically parametered fills on a floor plan, and some of them maintain their rotation (i.e. they stay horizontal or 0° - which is what I and any other sane human being would want) when you change the view rotation and some of them rotate with the view.

Sometimes I can get the fill to change, but there is no consistency in whether it will work. I'm used to using workarounds in programmes like ArchiCAD but ArchiCAD is one of the few programmes in existence which seems to have random number generation in the coding so that it can defy normal software behaviour and act unpredictably.

This drives me crazy and I can't believe there is not a topic on this.

Please please please sort it out!

P.S. While I'm ranting can someone tell me why it now takes 30 seconds to change the display order of a single line? More like 60 seconds for a dimension. Arghhhhhhhh!

I'm using ArchiCAD 21 (Build 5010) on a Maxxed out 4GHz i7 Retina iMac with 32GB RAM.
6 REPLIES 6
Barry Kelly
The text will always rotate with the view (or at least it should).
There is an option to make the text 'Always Readable', in which case when it rotates past a certain point and Archicad perceives it as being non-readable from the bottom or right side, it will automatically rotate 180°.

As for the slowness I don't know for sure.
Someone just yesterday mentioned Archicad seemed to be lagging.
A re-install seemed to fix the problem.

http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=275327&highlight=#275327

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
runxel
Legend
Just try this one out, Barry:

Create a new fill with area text.
Make a copy.
Rotate one of the fills: the text will rotate accordingly.
Now change one of the fills, e.g. split it in half.
Rotate the fills: the text will only rotate on the fills which were not altered.

Once the text has decided to not rotate anymore you can't get it back working. Injecting from a sanely fill won't work neither.
Lucas Becker | AC 27 on Mac | Author of Runxel's Archicad Wiki | Editor at SelfGDL | Developer of the GDL plugin for Sublime Text |
«Furthermore, I consider that Carth... yearly releases must be destroyed»
Barry Kelly
runxel wrote:
Just try this one out, Barry:

Create a new fill with area text.
Make a copy.
Rotate one of the fills: the text will rotate accordingly.
Now change one of the fills, e.g. split it in half.
Rotate the fills: the text will only rotate on the fills which were not altered.

Once the text has decided to not rotate anymore you can't get it back working. Injecting from a sanely fill won't work neither.
I see what you mean when I split the fill then rotate the plan or just the fill.
The text will always reset back to zero.

If you manually set the angle of the text to any figure then back to 0° it will rotate with the fill again.

If you use the 'Revert to Automatic Position' button it also resets the angle to always be 0° and it will stay at 0° when you rotate the plan/fill.
When you split a fill it obviously uses the automatic position to place the new text.
When you place a fill with are text on, you nominate where the text goes so it is not using the automatic position.

Just dragging the text does not break the automatic position with regards to the text rotation - you have to manually change the angle and then change it back.

Seems a little buggy but logical at the same time.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
This may be a big but why don’t you just use a label that requests the area of the fill and then you can rotate it however you wish
Daniel Kovacs
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi Guys,

Yeah, this definitely looks inconsistent. I have let the designers know about this issue.

Barry Kelly explained the situation quite well, I have nothing to add to that.

Regards,
Daniel Alexander Kovacs

Professional Services Consultant

GRAPHISOFT

For Troubleshooting and useful Tips & Tricks visit
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for the responses guys. It's good to know that it's a bug and that hopefully it can be fixed with the next hotfix, or probably AC22 now.

I like the label idea, it's an extra step but less work than having to recreate fills.