Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

Artlantis Studio is available

Anonymous
Not applicable
Artlantis Studio is available at :

http://www.artlantis.com/download/demo/

Best Regards,
Pierre
16 REPLIES 16
stefan
Expert
AFAIK, Studio uses a different approach to calculate radiosity, since it has to be usable in animation too.

When you do a view-dependent calculation, you can cheat quite a bit, but when things start to move, you have to find an approach that makes sure that lighting levels don't differ between different frames in the animation.

I can recommand Studio, even though it has its limitations.

And you can assume that Studio solves a few bugs from R.
--- stefan boeykens --- bim-expert-architect-engineer-musician ---
Archicad27/Revit2023/Rhino8/Unity/Solibri/Zoom
MBP2023:14"M2MAX/Sonoma+Win11
Archicad-user since 1998
my Archicad Book
Thomas Holm
Booster
stefan wrote:
AFAIK, Studio uses a different approach to calculate radiosity, since it has to be usable in animation too.
Thanks, Stefan, for the heads-up. Does this make S faster than R, or no difference?

And, is it a Universal Binary for Mac?
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
stefan
Expert
Thomas wrote:
stefan wrote:
Thanks, Stefan, for the heads-up. Does this make S faster than R, or no difference?

And, is it a Universal Binary for Mac?
Not sure if it is faster, I never really used Artlantis Render.
I still find the anti-aliasing not totally smooth.
It's a universal binary.
--- stefan boeykens --- bim-expert-architect-engineer-musician ---
Archicad27/Revit2023/Rhino8/Unity/Solibri/Zoom
MBP2023:14"M2MAX/Sonoma+Win11
Archicad-user since 1998
my Archicad Book
Thomas Holm
Booster
stefan wrote:
It's a universal binary.
THAT's good new at least!
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
Anonymous
Not applicable
What is the comparison, as far as animation is concerned to Archicad's ?
Dwight
Newcomer
There's no comparison.

Artlantoidius is in a different league for many reasons, but the most important reason is that the camera accelerates and decelerates smoothly in a given clip.

Then there's rendering speed, so many frames get made fast.

Then there's the quick preview and all of the other features that make Artlantis a usable animation generator compared to the rudimentary tools in ArchiCAD.

I dislike fly-throughs as a way to communicate about architecture, but it is painless to make them in Artlantis.

BTW: Catch my Los Angeles "LightWorks in ArchiCAD 10" Seminar July 26. Contact Bobrow Associates for more info. details.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Dwight, I haven't missed the irony in your comments about Art.lantis.
Why the powers at be at Graphisoft chose to incorporate an old version of a current rendering engine and then hack such an ungainly interface to it...it needs a whole book on how to use it.....whereas Art.lantis "doesn't need documentation!". (BTW No offence meant re your book - actually I know it covers more of the art of rendering rather than just the mechanics of Lightworks). And that was with v9 - it remains untouched in v10!

The only thing that really appeals to me about sticking with ArchiCAD/Lightworks is that after all the hard work of setting up a job to render in Lightworks is done, updates are relatively automated by using links to PlotMaker....

However the time saved in not having to deal with the unwieldly materials palette and lighting controls of Lightworks will, I am sure, make up for the "loss in automation".
I will add here we are awaiting imminent delivery of Art.lantis Studio.

Aside; have you noticed this quirk?
Build a 3d grid at the floor plane of your building, and then generate a view from the same camera, of it using the internal rendering engine followed by the Lightworks one. Compare the amount of foreground using the grid and you will see that they interpret the camera data differently. It might not sound like a big deal but it caused me a ton of grief recently. I'm hoping Artlantis doesn't do weird things too...