BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Auto Update default for embedded PDF

Arcadia
Booster

For a while now I have noticed that when I drop a PDF document into a layout (for example an exported excel table or my main notes page) the update option defaults to 'manual'. Is there anyway of changing this so the default is auto update? This has caused me problems a couple of time when I have forgetten to change to auto and my changed notes weren't updated as I expected.

V12-V27, PC: Ryzen 9 3950X, 64g RAM, RTX5000, Win 11
5 REPLIES 5
Barry Kelly

Check the default setting of your 'Drawing' tool.

It is probably set to manual.

BarryKelly_0-1655779639516.png

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Arcadia
Booster

Nope its set to auto, Every other drawing view I drag on to the layout from within AC defaults to auto like it should its just if I drag a PDF in from explorer. I don't do this as it takes too long but even if I use the drawing tool to place a drawing then browse for the PDF file and place it that way (rather than just dragging the file from explorer) it still defaults to manual update.

You are correct, it defaults to 'manual' whether you drag or place to the plan or a layout.

Maybe it is because it is an external file.

The same happens when you drag a DWG file as well.

Must be so it is not constantly checking for updates to external files that can be unavailable or be moved with no warning.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

Thanks Barry yes this might be the reason it does it but if so it sucks. Defaults should be set for maximizing accuracy not minimizing system use.

PVBergkrantz
Expert

We have experienced this as well, which creates issues and confusion since people are used to the preset being used (that is auto). And while it works to adjust the settings for the drawing tool for internal views it reverts back to manual for external drawings. More than once this has caused pictures for presentations to not be updated without anyone noticing until the presentation. Please make it work consistently, by using the settings the user choses.

| AC 25 Int | Win10 | i7-7800X | 32 GB | GeForce RTX 2060 6GB |

Learn and get certified!