Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Auto elevation naming relating to orientation

Too Long
Enthusiast

Is there a way to name external elevations based upon their orientation?

Thanks

AC26 AUS Full
4 REPLIES 4
DGSketcher
Legend

Possibly with a deep dig in GDL, but it could be problematic at a practical level e.g. do you want your elevation views all the same name. You would need to manage tolerance on rotation e.g. is it just West or South West or West South West. You need to think about format too, is WSW sufficient or should it be West. South West.

Its not a bad idea, I just think it may complicate the simple act of typing in an appropriate name.

Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)

Hi,

For internal elevations

<Orientation>

gives you North, North East, East

<OrientationShort>

gives you N, NE, E

AllanP_0-1670816021093.png

But I don't think it works for normal elevations.

I have been using ArchiCAD continually since ArchiCAD 4.5, 4.5.5, 5, 5.1, 6, 6.5, 7, 8, 8.1, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 18, 21, 22, 25, now testing 27
Member of Architalk since 2003, but missed the migration to Graphisoft.
(where have all my original posts gone?)
DGSketcher
Legend

@Barry Kelly I think this should be moved to wishes.

The more I think about it, the suggested option of Long/Short Autotext would make it viable, particularly with the recent changes to Location settings. Much like all the other view marker reference settings it would just be a case of adding an option to prefix the name with the Orientation Autotext. It should be possible for AC to consider a marker in context with its global orientation.

Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)

I agree this should be a wish.

If it can be done for internal elevations, why can't it be done for standard elevations?

But I won't move this particular post as it was just asking the question.

I will how ever create the wish.

https://community.graphisoft.com/t5/Wishes-forum/Orientation-autotext-for-standard-elevations/td-p/3...

Barry

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11