Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Auto-text within drawing window

Anonymous
Not applicable
Is there a way to have a piece of text be automated to the ID of the drawing you are currently drawing? For example, I'm drawing up a detail and I want a piece of text that in my layout that will point me to the correct worksheet by the ID of that worksheet. See attached image.
5 REPLIES 5
Bruce
Expert
No, you can't specifically do that, however you can select a placed drawing on a layout and make it an autotext reference.

Right-click on a placed drawing, choose "Set as Autotext Reference"
Now when you choose the Autotext option in your text block, there are numerous options to place under the "Reference for "[drawing you set]"" section. Refer attached images.

However, could you expand on the reason why you want to do this? There may be another way, depending on your reasons.
Bruce Walker
www.brucepwalker.com
Barking Dog BIM YouTube
Mindmeister Mindmap
-- since v8.1 --
AC26 5002 INT Full | Windows 11 64 Pro | 12th Gen Intel i7-12700H 2.30 GHz | 64 Gb RAM | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 32 Gb
Bruce
Expert
Autotext options
2017-12-17_10-23-59.jpg
Bruce Walker
www.brucepwalker.com
Barking Dog BIM YouTube
Mindmeister Mindmap
-- since v8.1 --
AC26 5002 INT Full | Windows 11 64 Pro | 12th Gen Intel i7-12700H 2.30 GHz | 64 Gb RAM | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 32 Gb
Bruce
Expert
It could be you are trying to figure out where a drawing originates (e.g. you find a drawing on a layout, but don't know where it comes from).

If you are working in a single file, this is simple: you can either right-click on the drawing in question, and select "Open source View", or you can open its settings and look at the view path ("ARCHICAD view")
Bruce Walker
www.brucepwalker.com
Barking Dog BIM YouTube
Mindmeister Mindmap
-- since v8.1 --
Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes I'm trying to place a piece of text that will point you to where the drawing is located in the navigator. I am trying to have it there so when looking at a print out you know quickly where to go. If there isn't a way to have an automated text I will place text that will manually be filled in.

Thanks.
Bruce
Expert
Although it's not available in Autotext, there should be a way to do this with GDL. However, a quick look through the GDL reference guide, and the closest I can find is "ac_drawingName" - which I don't think is quite what you need.

Is anyone else aware of a GDL command that will return the ID &/or Name of the view for a placed drawing?

The only other thing I can think of is to create a Drawing Index schedule...but that's more like a list that you would have separately, than including on individual layotus.
Bruce Walker
www.brucepwalker.com
Barking Dog BIM YouTube
Mindmeister Mindmap
-- since v8.1 --