Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Automatic RL Label

Chris Pooley
Enthusiast
Hi,

I am wondering if anyone knows how I can have a label that will gravitate to the mesh and give an automatic height from a story level to the mesh. I am hoping the Elevation Label can be set up for this? I have this set up at the moment to give me my slab RLs but I am hoping there is a feature (or another object or label?) that might be able to accomplish this?

Also, (LOL sorry, I hope asking more than 1 question per post is not against the rules) but in line with this, I am wondering if there is a way to have a label that I can "stamp" on my site plan view that will just display the RL of a story? So, in the image attached the label that says PAD RL 28.500, I had to place a small invisible slab on my Pad story and display it on my FFL story (1 story up) so that it will automatically update when and if I need to change the level.

Thank you for taking the time to read my questions
Chris
ArchiCAD 25
Windows 10
7 REPLIES 7
Podolsky
Ace
Yes, you do everything right.
Usually all levels on site are shown in relation to Sea Level.
In general ArchiCAD has four reference levels: project zero, sea level and two custom levels.
If you need to show distance from top of slab to mesh (and if top of slab equals project zero), just use project zero in elevation level.
If they are different - you can set two custom reference levels to your needs.

After you placed your level - select text only (not the marker) and open its settings (ctrl+T or cmd+T). Here you can insert autotext, replacing original value - one of four given reference levels (or several of them).

About the slab - why you hide it? it can be shown all the time on the plan.
Chris Pooley
Enthusiast
Hi Podolsky, Thank you for your reply.

I have hidden the slab as it is on my subfloor story, just as something for the auto label to grab and reference, it is not part of the house so I don't want it to be visible, just the label. But if I had a label that would not need to attach to anything then I would not need to do this.

For your advice on the elevation label, I don't seem to have the same options as yourself, but I am using Archicad 21 so I wonder if the label has changed if you are using a more current version? Sorry, it did not occur to me before, I should have mentioned my archicad version. I have attached a picture of the label settings.

For the autotexting options, the only way I know this is from the project info options, and none of these I can see refers to the story levels, I have attached a picture of this.

Thank you for your time.
ArchiCAD 25
Windows 10
Barry Kelly
Hi Chris,
I have moved this post to the 'Construction Documentation' section as it has nothing to do with working from home.
Also it is best if you can ask separate questions in separate posts - unless they are closely related.

Chris wrote:
Hi Podolsky, Thank you for your reply.
But if I had a label that would not need to attach to anything then I would not need to do this.

Labels don't have to be associated to anything at all.
But then of course they can not read information from any element so you have to add the information manually.
However you can use and 'Autotext' lable and add autotext for the elevation to reference/ sea / project zero level (they are in 'General Parameters').
You will need to associate this to an element to get those values, but it can be any element in that view.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Chris Pooley
Enthusiast
Hi Barry,

I am sorry about those protocol errors I have made against the forum, thank you for responding anyway.

I can not find the "general parameters" section. Are you referring to the Elevation Label 21? Can you send a snip I can refer to?

Thanks,
ArchiCAD 25
Windows 10
Barry Kelly
Chris wrote:
I am sorry about those protocol errors I have made against the forum, thank you for responding anyway.

Not a problem.

Chris wrote:
I can not find the "general parameters" section. Are you referring to the Elevation Label 21? Can you send a snip I can refer to?

I was referring to the 'Autotext' label.
You can edit the text to say what ever you want and insert pieces of autotext.
This is from 22 but it should be there in 21 as well.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Podolsky
Ace
You can use Level Dimension Tool instead of label (tool that looks like cross in circle). The screenshot I provided is from it. Level tool can be attached to slab, mesh or roof, but also can be placed in empty space of the plan - in that case it shows elevation of the floor.
Chris Pooley
Enthusiast
Hi,

Thank you Barry and Podolsky, I have tried both of these options, they are good and now I have what I need, this will save me a lot of time.

Thanks again
ArchiCAD 25
Windows 10