BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Automatic placing of views on layout.

Anonymous
Not applicable
A very basic question but I've read the reference guide and searched the internet and cannot find a answer....

Is it possible/ what is the work flow to set up layouts so that views sent or placed on layouts automatically position in a predetermined box or grid?

I've tried everything but each time a place view it lands randomly and I need to manualy re position it .

What the best and most economical way to set up layouts so that views automatically arrange themselves?

thanks
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello Strawbale,
let's try step by step:
1- define a new master and set align to a grid in the drawing placement option;
2- click on grid setup and ... setup the grid as you like(rows, columns, borders);
3- create a new layout selecting the new master in "master layout";
4- open the new layout and switch to the view map in the navigator;
5- drag single views or folder to the layout window.
Does it work?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Ilder, Ive tried doing it like you say along with the other methods. But each time the view lands on the payout and ignores the grid I have set up. I need to preposition it each time.

Here is an image of a layout that has a 2 cell grid for automatic positioning. I have already one view which I have placed on the layout and repositioned correctly. Then I have added another view as you describe and again it lands randomly on the page ignoring the grid layout.

whats going on?

thanks
2.PNG
Anonymous
Not applicable
Strawbale,
it looks to me that the views you are trying to automatically place are larger that the layout, as they are larger that the layout they cannot be placed within the predetermined grids.

Scott
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks guys, i was hoping AC would constrain the drawing within the grid box regardless of size. Oh well. I wish there more options to make placing views more flexible.
Anonymous
Not applicable
If the the drawings could be auto-contrained to the grid this would be a huge time saver.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Not sure why there cannot be an option to constrain the drawing within the grid and then you can re centre as needed. Thios would already save a lot of time.
Erika Epstein
Booster
If you want your views to fit in a certain size layout box, you need to first define your views with the appropriate scale and saved view size.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Anonymous
Not applicable
I don't think I get this feature. It says in the info "This method arranges newly placed Drawings in a pre-defined Grid.". I assume that this is something that automatically arranges the position of the placed drawing (assuming that the view will fit within the setup frames). I'm trying to make a simple example by having a master layout A1 divided into two cells. I drag a view (which fits within a cell) on to the layout but it do not reposition regardless of where it was placed. So I'm thinking that this feature is simply helpful frame lines?
Barry Kelly
I think you will find it works better when you drag multiple views onto your layout at once.
Dragging a single view will just go where you place it.

If your view is too large for the grid then it will extend over the grid limits - it won't crop the drawing automatically.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Learn and get certified!