Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Automatically showing the "excluded" space under the roof?

Karol Lozinski
Participant
Hello,
Is it possible to do? I mean like automatically show the 220cm height under the ceiling and 140 cm? I know that ArchiCAD "knows" the right values to do this as there is this option.

So is it possible to use this info? Maybe using graphic override? Maybe showing it with a fill? I can't find a way to get it.
AC 27 Win 11
15 REPLIES 15
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
Karol Lozinski:

There is a command, Create Roof Level Lines..., which will draw Lines at the a height specified for the elected Roof(s). These lines are not dynamic. You could have ArchiCAD place these lines, then document from there. You may need to add this command to your Work Environment.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
I think this could be done using the ARCHICAD-Grasshopper Connection. You could get the geometry of those Roofs, and calculate in Grasshopper how much of a Room's are is below a specified level of the Roof, and based on that you could generated ARCHICAD Fills from Grasshopper.
I have not tried it, but I think it could work.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Karol Lozinski
Participant
@David Maudlin - Thank you for the help! This is quite close to what I would want. Though it's static and sadly there's not much you can do with it. Thanks anyway!

@LaszloNagy - Also thank you! I am pretty sure that this would work although I have a feeling that using Grasshoper to do such thing is like trying to kill a fly with a canon. Seems to be a slight overkill, but thanks for the idea nontheless! It might be usefull with some bigger bulding than a house

Well, maybe such thing will be introduced sometime in the future Of course if anyone has some ninja-technique I am still very interested! Thank you all for help.
AC 27 Win 11
DGSketcher
Legend
It can be done, but in the past I have always just marked up with a 2D graphic, but I guess it depends on how often you need to do it.

OK, so you have your room, floor level & roofs. You need first to fill the room with a morph that sits on the floor and has a depth to match the height you need, in your comments say 140cm. The morph needs to be on its own layer with a unique intersection value so it can be easily hidden and won't interfere with other elements. Now use trim to roof on the morph. Doing it this way means if anything moves the hatch will adjust.

The way the hatch is displayed is a bit odd, in that the cover fill setting is applied to the cut, but it works. To create the required hatch at the cut you need to have a surface material with the required hatch pattern in its definition. This surface is then applied to the building material you will use for the morph. To try and explain a bit better, duplicate the blue glass surface material and add the required Vectorial Hatching. Now create a new Building Material - "Roof Void" using the duplicate blue glass surface. Now change the morph building material to use "Roof Void". If you have morph settings like mine you should then end up with hatched roof voids in plan.

I'll be honest and say I haven't used this as a solution in my projects and there may be unwanted graphics in your drawings but it does achieve what you requested and can be used as a starting point.
Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
That is an interesting and imaginative solution.
DGSketcher
Legend
I must admit I was surprised at the hatching method. To some extent I am inclined to suggest the hatching process is a bug. The output is principally correct, but I would have expected the hatched area that is created by the roof to be treated as a cut, (which it is), and therefore use the cut fills option of the building material rather than the Vectorial Hatching. I would then have expected, having turned on the the cover fills, for the surface hatching to be applied to the other exposed surfaces of the morph. Anybody else minded that the hatch type and cover fill application is flawed?
Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Yes, I see what you mean. I will report this to GRAPHISOFT and ask them if this was by design or it is a "useful bug".
Karol Lozinski
Participant
I guess that the thread is already lost in the crowd, but somehow I haven't got a notification, thus didn't know about the replies. This is a brilliant sollution! And exacly what I needed! I am really impressed and thank you, thank you soo much!
AC 27 Win 11
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
DGSketcher wrote:
I must admit I was surprised at the hatching method. To some extent I am inclined to suggest the hatching process is a bug. The output is principally correct, but I would have expected the hatched area that is created by the roof to be treated as a cut, (which it is), and therefore use the cut fills option of the building material rather than the Vectorial Hatching. I would then have expected, having turned on the the cover fills, for the surface hatching to be applied to the other exposed surfaces of the morph. Anybody else minded that the hatch type and cover fill application is flawed?
Hi all,

Thank you for sharing the question here!

DGSketcher, thank you very much for contributing the solution to this issue! But for some reason, I cannot reproduce it in with my own computer, having tested on both AC23 INT and UKI (I feel so embarrassed right now!). Below are my settings:

The morph is well below Floor Plan Cut Plane. From the look of this, it looks like the vectorial hatching works correctly in this case.

Did I miss anything here? Thank you very much!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT