Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Autotext label dimension units?

furtonb
Advisor
Hi,

Maybe I've just overlooked it, but is there a way to set the units for the measurements in the autotext label?
The "Dimensions..." settings in the project preferences have no effect on them, nor the working units: e.g. every length measurement is always shown in meters.

For columns etc. though, it is common practice to give these overall measurements in centimetres. In AC22 there would be a workaround to create expression based properties, but
a, we are having AC21, which doesn't have this feature
b, even if we would switch, it's very tedious to keep track of all the required properties.

My question is: is there a way to control the units in which the labeled measurements are shown on autotext labels?

Thank you for your help!
odv.hu | actively using: AC25-27 INT | Rhino6-8 | macOS @ apple silicon / win10 x64
13 REPLIES 13
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Have you tried to change Calculation Units in the Options > Project Preferences > Calculation Units & Rules Dialog?
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
furtonb
Advisor
LaszloNagy wrote:
Have you tried to change Calculation Units in the Options > Project Preferences > Calculation Units & Rules Dialog?

Thanks, but I'm looking for way a view-specific way to set it (although I didn't say it). As far as I know the Calculation units cannot be set based on views, it gets applied to the whole project – I don't want the schedules to use centimetres for instance. I'm not sure what a better solution would be, but a more flexible approach would be very welcome – as a construction documentation often uses various units on the same plan, or even in the same sentence. The use of expression-based properties yield in the amount of flexibility I wish for, but a more structured way to set it would be beneficial in my opinion.

p.s. If the Calculation units can be set on a view basis, my bad (although I tried, didn't work).
odv.hu | actively using: AC25-27 INT | Rhino6-8 | macOS @ apple silicon / win10 x64
Anonymous
Not applicable
is it not under symbol label parameters, general settings?
furtonb
Advisor
There is no possibility like that in the Autotext label - see my attached screenshot.

If there would be such an option, that would be great!
    Anonymous
    Not applicable
    oh, i thought you're using the label - dimension label 21, which you can try
    I think this would be possible with AC22 and the new Expressions in Properties function.
    However, I don't understand how to change the unit of measure for the string value. Can anyone help?
    arch. ernest atanasiu
    AC 10-26 INT/GER/FR on Win 10/ Win 11
    shpendazizi
    Contributor

Did you manage to find a solution for this?

I'm trying to auto text some of the openings and Autotext is the only option that gives me the desired values but it does it with some extra decimals which I don't need.

Barry Kelly

Have you tried changing the calculation units as Laszlo suggested early in this post?

But that will affect all calculations - i.e. schedules too.

Otherwise you need to create a property with an expression that will calculate a value with the required units and decimal precision that you want.

Then autotext that property in your label.

Barry.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
    Versions 6.5 to 27
    Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
    Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

Hi, thanks for the quick reply.

I don't know if this is the right thread but this is the closest one I could find to my problem.

In the attached screenshot with green, you can see what I want my autotext to say, and with red is what it's showing right now.

Hope this helps

shpendazizi_0-1644419712653.png