BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Autotext line breaks

Anonymous
Not applicable
As queried in this wish is there a way of adding a hard return to a line of autotext, specifically on a Mac (I remember doing it in Windows). A good example if for a Layout title.

We have tried typing the required text in a normal text field and copy/paste into layout name, but this does not work.

A search revealed that wish linked above, hence the double post.

Cheers
17 REPLIES 17
Erich
Contributor
S2art,

What are you trying to do? I have hard returns in the autotext from my project information. The returns are placed in the Project info text box and not on the layout. Does this fix it for you or are you trying to put returns into autotext from the system or somewhere else that might not allow that control?
Erich

AC 19 6006 & AC 20
Mac OS 10.11.5
15" Retina MacBook Pro 2.6
27" iMac Retina 5K
Anonymous
Not applicable
We are trying to control the point at which Layout names "break" or drop down a line

so we get

LAYOUT PLANS
GROUND AND FIRST FLOOR

and not

LAYOUT PLANS GROUND AND FIRST
FLOOR

We have #LayoutName autotext elements in the Master.
Barry Kelly
s2art wrote:
We are trying to control the point at which Layout names "break" or drop down a line

so we get

LAYOUT PLANS
GROUND AND FIRST FLOOR

and not

LAYOUT PLANS GROUND AND FIRST
FLOOR

We have #LayoutName autotext elements in the Master.
I can't remember if it is "/n" or "\n" (without the quotes) that forces a line break in text.
Does it help if you use this in the layout name?
Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Erich
Contributor
S2art,

Hmmm, now I see what you are trying to do. Unfortunately I don't have an answer for this one. I smells of the general text formating limitations we face in a number of areas with AC.

Perhaps someone more versed has a work around? .......
Erich

AC 19 6006 & AC 20
Mac OS 10.11.5
15" Retina MacBook Pro 2.6
27" iMac Retina 5K
owen
Newcomer
no idea how to line break the autotext .. i'm pretty sure i have heard someone on ACTalk say it can be done though (which is of no help - but we can't all be imagining it)

As a workaround could you use a simple GDL text block placed on the master with two PARAGRAPHS containing the Autotext? .. one for Subset Name (Layout Plans?) and one for Layout Name (Ground and First Floor?)

it may not give you the file names you want when Publishing to PDF though (or it may .. ive just been to a Bjork concert so im not really in an AC mindspace right now)
cheers,

Owen Sharp

Design Technology Manager
fjmt | francis-jones morehen thorp

iMac 27" i7 2.93Ghz | 32GB RAM | OS 10.10 | Since AC5
Anonymous
Not applicable
Barry wrote:

I can't remember if it is "/n" or "\n" (without the quotes) that forces a line break in text.
Barry.
Doesn't work for me, thanks.
owen wrote:
As a workaround could you use a simple GDL text block placed on the master with two PARAGRAPHS containing the Autotext? .. one for Subset Name (Layout Plans?) and one for Layout Name (Ground and First Floor?)
I suppose you could just use two lines of text with separate autotext fields in them. Not a bad idea. I would probably try it the other way though, putting all my plan layouts in a Subset called "Ground and First Floors" with the Layout Names then being "Construction Plans", Electrical Plans", "Framing Plans", "Bracing Plans" etc. (mostly 2 storey residential type work, having type of plan as subset name would require LOTS of subsets).

We'll give it a go.
owen wrote:
(ive just been to a Bjork concert so im not really in an AC mindspace right now)
I can understand that.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
s2art wrote:
Barry wrote:

Barry.
Doesn't work for me, thanks.
I think this works only when the text you enter is used by some GDL object.
The reason is that \n is a character string that has any meaning only in GDL.
For example, if you use the \n characters once in the name of a Zone Stamp, it will break it into two lines (of course it will mess it up because now that line of the Zone Stamp which is supposed to be one line is now two lines, and other parts of the Zone Stamp's 2D Script "think" it is one line so it will overflow other texts in the Zone Stamp.)
This of course could be solved - in case anyone is interested - because you could check in the GDL code any line of the Zone Stamp to see if it has \n character string in it and then use the ADD2 command before drawing the next line of text below it accordingly to shift it by the correct distance. (Sorry if this does not make much sense to many, I am adding it for GDL guys.)

AutoTexts are not GDL so they cannot use this trick.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
laszlonagy wrote:
AutoTexts are not GDL so they cannot use this trick.
So what trick can we use then?

I haven't fouind one yet.

Cheers,
Link.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Unfortunately I do not know of any either.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Learn and get certified!