BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

BIMx
About BIMx (mobile, web and desktop), connection to BIMcloud, and related technical questions.

BIMX & Oculus Rift

Anonymous
Not applicable
Goodmorning and have a great month forum,
I recently got my oculus rift DK2 , for those that do not now what it is,
its the second development kit of an upcoming Virtual Reality Head Mounted Display. I am planning to create VR tours using Unity engine but then it hit me ,that Bimx can produce steroscopic images,so,anyone gave this a shot?
I played around a bit with it,but no luck.
I would really love if I did not have to learn how to use another software but i guess you cannot add dinosaurs chasing you around in your house in Bimx 😉
41 REPLIES 41
archigreen
Enthusiast
I love it! THIS is the future

So cool!
ArchiCAD 26
MacOS Monterey
MacBook Pro Apple M1 Max
64 GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
strawbale wrote:
Here is an Apk file of a project imported into Unity3D, then compiled for Google Cardboard on Android.
HI,
I discovered just a few days ago this interesting thread. I'm moving my first steps in this beatiful world. I'm already able to import a file in Unity3D and to compile it as .apk file for Android. Anyway, in my final apk file I see a black mask around both the view, the left and the right one, in contrast of your apk file. Furthermore, I did not understand how to walk around and inside the model. Anyone can help me, please ?
Thanks
Art
Anonymous
Not applicable
ik7jwy wrote:
strawbale wrote:
Here is an Apk file of a project imported into Unity3D, then compiled for Google Cardboard on Android.
HI,
I discovered just a few days ago this interesting thread. I'm moving my first steps in this beatiful world. I'm already able to import a file in Unity3D and to compile it as .apk file for Android. Anyway, in my final apk file I see a black mask around both the view, the left and the right one, in contrast of your apk file. Furthermore, I did not understand how to walk around and inside the model. Anyone can help me, please ?
Thanks
Art
Hi Art,

I guess you have to use external bluetooth gamepad or keyboard.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello,

has anyone worked out a workflow from BIMx or ArchiCad direct to being able to view with Oculus Rift?

If so are they willing to share the steps.

I have been looking at the unreal engine but not much luck.

Brendon
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hey all!

Well we bit the bullet and bought an Oculus Rift package that included a rift ready PC. We went with the Alienware X51. Our sole purpose was exploring our Archicad models with clients.

Needless to say after months of reviewing work flow examples, we had the rift up an running and an Archicad model to explore within a day. It was really easy!

Archicad 18 > Save as .skp or .obj > save file to flash drive.
Moved the flash drive to the Windows PC (We're an all apple office)
Download / install IRISVR (free for now)
Open Iris VR > drag .skp file into Iris VR app

DONE.

It loaded the model and we were able to view / navigate our Archicad model. It brought in all of the correct materials and all. Downside was no lighting, but that can be figured out later. It was really sweet!
stefan
Expert
I read that next version of BIMx would support Google Cardboard. Not the most spectacular solution, but very accessible for e.g. Clients
--- stefan boeykens --- bim-expert-architect-engineer-musician ---
Archicad27/Revit2023/Rhino8/Unity/Solibri/Zoom
MBP2023:14"M2MAX/Sonoma+Win11
Archicad-user since 1998
my Archicad Book
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Here is one place where the BIMx + Google Cardboard announcement is mentioned:

https://twitter.com/BIModel1/status/778271774165209088
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Kind of a quick fix, I found a google cardboard equivalent at walmart for 15 bucks, but its plastic and fits most phones well. I use an app called splashtop streamer, as it has been the best that i have tested so far, to cast my computer screen to my phone. then open a hyper model, select left/Right for stereo mode and bam some very basic VR with bimx.

Its pretty cool other than the left right mode seems to be a little "Narrow" in terms of space.
I found an app called trinusVR lets me control the mouse with head motion, and i can scale the view to make things appear normal in space. super cool. now just a controller with a joystick for the user and we have a very aweseome vr experience
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
The newest BIMx update is now released and it supports Google Cardboard VR on smartphones.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Learn and get certified!

Didn't find the answer?

Check other topics in this Forum

Back to Forum

Read the latest accepted solutions!

Accepted Solutions

Start a new conversation!