BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

BIMx
About BIMx (mobile, web and desktop), connection to BIMcloud, and related technical questions.

BIMX stereo using SPAN method at a NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 460.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Dear all:

I am a Master Engineering student at Universidade de São Paulo in São Paulo, Brazil, and I have a project where I am using a building created at Archicad and exported to BIMx file.

To work properly, the computer architecture that I am using is: an intel processor (Core i7) with 16Gbyte RAM Memory, graphical card NVidia GE Force GTX 460, OS Windows XT 64 bits, Archicad 15 and BIMx for Windows XT 64 bits, two projectors 3000 Ansi Lumens and a 3DMouse SpaceNavigator from 3DConnexion.

Two see the expanded vision using the image at the two projectors, I fix the "Vertical Span" method on "Using Set Up Multiple Displays As One Large Vertical Desktop" at NVidia Driver.

When I set the stereo view method as "left/right", everything are good and working well, but all the images turns "stretched in the vertical": for example, a squared window became rectangular one with the major measurement in the vertical.

Has anybody found this problem? How the trouble could be fixed?

That is, has anyone realized that the BIMx squeezes images in stereo mode?

Thanks a lot for your help.
Best Regards:
Eng. Nilton Paulo Raimundo Mendes, MBA.
+5511 8385-5438.
5 REPLIES 5
Tamas Eros
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Dear Nilton,

As I understand you desire to display the same image from BIMx on both projectors.
BIMx's Left/Right Stereo View mode is for 3D TVs, projectors which can display stereographic images. So the two images are not the same: one is made for the left eye and one is for the right. They appear on normal (just for 2D display) monitors/projectors horizontally squeezed (vertically stretched) next to each other. Meanwhile the appropriate TV/projector displays them overlapping (so stretches them horizontally back to normal) which we perceive as a 3D image through special glasses.
As long as BIMx sees your two projectors as one desktop the Left/Right Stereo View will appear stretched. I would suggest to mirror or duplicate the image of one projector to the other while using BIMx without using stereo view. This way the exact same image should appear in BIMx with right proportions.
Let me know if I misunderstood something.
Kind regards,
Tamas Eros
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT
Follow us on Twitter
GRAPHISOFT HelpCenter - the ArchiCAD knowledge base
Anonymous
Not applicable
TamasEros.

Ok. Thank you. But what I need to do is a stereo projection with passive glasses using two projectors with polarized filters connected at my computer. Can you explain me how can I do this, please?

Thank you.
Best Regards:
+5511 8385-5438.
npraimundo@yahoo.com.br
Tamas Eros
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Dear Nilton,

According to the information I have found about your video card, it uses Nvidia's 3D Vision technology ( http://www.geforce.com/hardware/technology/3d-vision ) to provide 3D stereo output. You can check here: http://www.nvidia.com/object/3d-vision-system-requirements.html if the other components of your setup meet its system requirements.
We do not know if BIMx is compatible with this technology, we could not test it. If yes, between the Stereo View modes a 'Quad Buffer' option should appear, you will need this one instead of Left/Right.
If Quad Buffer option seems to be missing I am afraid BIMx is not compatible with this 3D Vision technology. In this case you still should be able to display stereo image but this probably only works with one projector. Use Left/Right Stereo View option in BIMx and turn on 3D in the settings of the projector. The projector itself should be capable of creating the 3D image from the Left/Right input source.
Hope I could help. Please share us your experiences.
Kind regards,
Tamas Eros
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT
Follow us on Twitter
GRAPHISOFT HelpCenter - the ArchiCAD knowledge base
Anonymous
Not applicable
TamasEros:
I have consulted the ArchiCAD homepage before buying the card and I have found that the card has been tested and passed through the test. See the page: <http://archicadwiki.com/VideoCardsForArchiCAD15> (Recommended Video Cards for ArchiCAD 15)...

I will check the page that you have recomended to see if the other components of my setup meets its system requirements.

If you have any aditional idea, please contact me.

Thanks a lot for your help.
Best Regards:
+5511 8385-5438.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,

If you want Quad Buffered Stereo using Nvidia's 3D Vision you need to have one of Nvidia's Quadro range of graphics card:
http://www.nvidia.co.uk/object/quadro_stereo_technology_uk.html

I have an Nvidia Quadro graphics card and have tried to BIMx with it but have not got it to work yet, I have posted a topic to see if anyone has been succesful in getting Nvidia's 3D vision to work with BIMx, you can follow it here:
http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=209823#209823

Please let me know if you where succesful in getting Nvidia's 3D vision to work with BIMx

Cheers
Learn and get certified!