BIMx
About BIMx (mobile, web and desktop), connection to BIMcloud, and related technical questions.

BIMx - Weird Graphic Issues

Jeff Griffin
Enthusiast
I'm wondering if anyone can tell me what is causing these weird graphic issues in my BIMx model views. It seems to be most prevalent near interior corners and window & door casings. I can confirm that Global Illumination is enabled for this model view. See screenshots at link below.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/yaio9t89z548sjg/AACoHLQwUIgZvR47A9Bas9FHa?dl=0
iMac 27 (2020) 3.8 GHz Core i7; 128 GB RAM; Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16 GB GPU (macOS Sonoma)
MacBook Pro M1 Max; 64 GB RAM; 32-Core GPU (macOS Ventura)
ArchiCAD 27/26/25 Full (latest builds). User since AC12 (2008).
10 REPLIES 10
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi,

First, I hope that you and your loved ones are doing well during these trying times!

Thank you for your question!

From your screenshots, it looks like the strange pattern in BIMx file is caused by Far From Origin issue. I suggest having a look at the Help Center article and try to identify if the project is being placed far from the origin or not. Also, a corrupted fill/complex profile can also cause this issue.

Let me know if the above suggestions help. Looking forward to hearing from you!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT

Jeff Griffin
Enthusiast
Hi Minh,

Thanks for your reply. I can confirm that the project origin is within the building footprint, so that couldn't be the issue. Could you please point me in the right direction regarding your second suggestion? I'm not sure what the best way is to track down a corrupted fill/complex profile and wasn't able to find anything helpful in the Graphisoft Knowledgebase (or Google) when I searched for these keywords.

Thanks for your help!
Jeff
iMac 27 (2020) 3.8 GHz Core i7; 128 GB RAM; Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16 GB GPU (macOS Sonoma)
Hello jffgrffn,

I'm a BIMx lover and I use this kind of export each time I create a project.
I have always noticed this concern on all my projects (always near from the origin). The only solution is not to export with GI. But the result is also less attractive so to this day I devote a certain cult to BimX Lab which will not deteriorate my BimX models. Strongly the release of the next update of BimX !!
Have you tested your BimX on a desktop version?
Christophe - FRANCE
Archicad Designer and Teacher
Archicad 15 to 27 FRA FULL

OS 11.6 Big Sur - MacBook Pro 2017 - 16Go RAM
"Quality is never an accident ; it's always the result of an intelligent effort" John Ruskin
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi Jeff,

Thank you for your confirmation! If the project is within the origin, another possibility is that there can be other hidden objects placed far away from the building. The best way to check this is to turn on all layers, set all Renovation Filters to Show in 3D window. Press "Fit in Window", and if the building is zoomed out to minimum in 3D, or nothing is visible, then there must be something wrong.

To find out if there is any corrupted fills or complex profiles, it is a difficult task. Usually, what I do is delete things one by one, then check if the problem goes away.

If you cannot find anything wrong, is it possible for you to send in your project file (PLA is preferred), along with the BIMx file for further investigation? Let me know if you need a secure link to drop the file to!

Thank you very much!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
GRAPHISOFT

Barry Kelly
I think you will fine as Christophe has mentioned, it is a Global Illumination (GI) problem.
There is not a lot you can do about it as far as I know.
However try the BIMxLAB app on mobile devices (again as mentioned by Christophe) and you should find it is a lot better.

Eventually the desktop viewer will be updated with the same rendering engine as BIMxLAB if I am not mistaken.
I know definitely that the mobile apps will be updated.

I think also the Web Viewer version (through the BIMx transfer site) is better with GI.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Hello,

In my projects there is never object far from the origin.
This graphical mistakes are availables for all projects (big or little, simple or complex)
BimX files of a same model is able to include these bugs or not and these bugs are not always at the same place.
These "bugs" are not visible wit "BimX Lab" so we just have to wait the bimx application upgrade that we have been hoping for since October 2018.
Christophe - FRANCE
Archicad Designer and Teacher
Archicad 15 to 27 FRA FULL

OS 11.6 Big Sur - MacBook Pro 2017 - 16Go RAM
"Quality is never an accident ; it's always the result of an intelligent effort" John Ruskin
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi Christophe,

Thank you for your confirmation!

Strangely, this issue only happens to me when I have Far from origin issue. I guess this is out of my current knowledge! Thank you very much, I definitely learned something new today!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
GRAPHISOFT

Jeff Griffin
Enthusiast
Thanks all!
Brad Elliott
Booster
I can confirm the same graphic problems with the building at the origin. Sounds like a rendering engine issue that is improved with BimxLab unless Graphisoft has corrupted the generic interior. Which gets us back to the current Graphisoft problem, BimxLab seems like it has been in beta FOREVER. My clients love BimX but I can't recommend a beta version. When will it be rolled in? Will it be this year, next year, ever?
Kind of like AC23 came out months late and then took months for an update and is still full of bugs, and now it's the end of May and still not a peep.
Mac OS12.6 AC26 USA Silicon
M1 Macbook Pro