BIMx
About BIMx (mobile, web and desktop), connection to BIMcloud, and related technical questions.

BIMx supports Google Cardboard VR on smartphones

Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Today a new update was released for BIMx.
The biggest enhancement is support for Google Cardboard VR on smartphones (not on tablets at this point).
You can simply update your BIMx on your smartphone to get the latest functionality.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
42 REPLIES 42
rob2218
Enthusiast
So...your Google Cardboard "was" working fine, then you connect the DayDream device and now try to run the Google Cardboard back on your iphone and it wont work?
what gives?
I thought the google cardboard was simply pushing a setting on the iphone that said "Cardboard VR" and that's it?
don't understand.
...Bobby Hollywood live from...
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Windows7 -OS, MAC Maverick OS
Gyuri Nyitrai
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
Gyuri wrote:
Hans wrote:
Default model works fine, this is exactly what we have been waiting for!
Whenever I upload a BIMx hypermodel of my own and enter the VR mode the dual viewports just freeze up. It works for one second, and then freezes.
Sucks because it seems to be model-related (demo model works). Any help here?
Hi Hans,

Thank you for notifying about this issue, we were finally able to reproduce this strange freeze effect on certain Android devices and immediately jumped into the investigation to find its root cause and to debug.
Sorry for the inconvenience, we are working on it!
I'm happy to announce that recently we released an update (version 2016.3.563) to fix VR related crashes and freeze on certain Android devices and to correct the menu structure since only published hyper-models are compatible with the Cardboard VR feature (It is not compatible with the legacy 3D model-only format).

Thank you for your patience!

Regards,
Gyuri & the BIMx Team
rob2218
Enthusiast
I noticed that if you have a "3Dmodel" only, there is no "Cardboard VR" setting to choose from.

Only when you output the BIMx file in "Hyper-Model" publishing will it be able to give you the option to select the "Cardboard VR" on the settings in 3D while viewing it in the Apple Iphone.
...Bobby Hollywood live from...
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Windows7 -OS, MAC Maverick OS
Wokka
Contributor
Great! Works for me!
Warwick Lloyd-Martin
3 D E N V I R O N M E N T
http://www.3de.com.au
Windows 11 Pro 64bit
ArchiCad 4.55>27 AUS
Lumion 12.5/2023
D5 Render
And where can these be purchased?

Here: https://www.google.com/search?sclient=psy-ab&safe=active&site=&source=hp&btnG=Search&q=google+cardbo...

The best option here: https://youtu.be/jke7gJiybcg
2016-12-12_13-26-38.png

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

Stress Co_
Advisor
Steve wrote:
And where can these be purchased?
Coming soon (so I'm told) from Graphisoft resellers: With BimX logos.
Note: Image from Steve's youtube Link
Screen Shot 2016-12-12 at 9.54.41 PM.png
Marc Corney, Architect
Red Canoe Architecture, P. A.

Mac OS 10.15.7 (Catalina) //// Mac OS 14.2.1 (Sonoma)
Processor: 3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 //// Apple M2 Max
Memory: 48 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 //// 32 GB
Graphics: Radeon Pro 580X 8GB //// 12C CPU, 30C GPU
ArchiCAD 25 (5010 USA Full) //// ArchiCAD 27 (4030 USA Full)
Karl Ottenstein
Super cool to experience space with this inexpensive viewer!

For any other old folks who wear bifocals/trifocals, I can report that it works fine for me - was worried that I wouldn't be able to focus.

I need a new insurance policy now, as I'm likely to trip over something or hit my head in real life while I'm turning around in the virtual building. I'm finding it especially difficult not to physically walk while I'm viewing.

The sample building has several code violations that should have resulted in my virtual death, but BIMx thankfully kept me from falling. 🙂

Great shoulder strengthening exercise, too. 😉
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Brad Elliott
Booster
I put my latest model in it and had my 13 year old daughter try it. She loved it but also bounced off a sofa and crashed into the coffee table. I think I am going to need additional insurance before I send it to a client.
It works best at 1x speed, any faster gets disorienting.
Mac OS12.6 AC26 USA Silicon
M1 Macbook Pro
vistasp
Advisor
I've found it safest to sit back in a swivel chair. That way I don't start walking by accident... and end up having an accident!
= v i s t a s p =
bT Square Peg
https://archicadstuff.blogspot.com
https://www.btsquarepeg.com
| AC 9-27 INT | Win11 | Ryzen 5700 | 32 GB | RTX 3050 |
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi there. I have had great fun trying out my models in the cardboard view on BIMX but I have one gripe about controlling the walk function. It seems currently to just to be an automated 'walk wherever your view is pointed', but this is pretty clunky and I wondered if the navigation can be controlled by an external controller? My Xbox controller works well with my android apps so I guess I just expected this functionality to be in the app as per the desktop version of BIMX.

At the moment this does not seem to be the case as the directional pad on my controller does not seem to have any function in the app, just the buttons work at the moment.

Didn't find the answer?

Check other topics in this Forum

Back to Forum

Read the latest accepted solutions!

Accepted Solutions

Start a new conversation!