Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

BUGS IN AC24 (aswers from GS Staff would be a plus)

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi everyone, it's that time of the year again, the time to consider upgrading, but not without testing beforehand..

I was lucky enough to test some issues from AC23 in AC24 a while ago, albeit only briefly and decided to give AC23 a pass and wait a little bit until AC24 is stable enough with (hopefully) a couple of updates that will fix some fundamental problems that are common with new releases. This time i had a bit more time to do some testing in AC24 INT to consider doing the upgrade from AC22, and found some issues.

I was planning to post only one report but found more than one problems immediately during my initial testing, so i'm just gonna put all of them in a single post here..

List of tested workflow affected by AC24 that wasn't a problem in AC22
Each changes / bugs has been tested using same steps / procedures / settings between each version
Each was done in default template that came out of the box to then be tested on our office's projects with same results.

1 GENERAL
Unable to define fill direction when drawing geometry on objects with Cover Fill Orientation = Link to Fill Origin

2 MVO
Incorrect display of simple wooden door leaf

3 FAVORITES
Favorites from infobox don't apply to drawings but favorites from Favorites Panel Do

4 COVER FILL
2D & 3D Cover fill orientation & Surface orientation don't sync with each other
*may be related to problem no.1
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable
For some reason i can't attach the rest of the sample images, so i'll just put them here
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hello,

Thank you very much for sharing this report and I am very sorry about the experience!

I will respond to each bug below:

1. Unable to define fill direction when drawing geometry with Cover Fill Orientation = Link to Fill Origin: this seems to be a change in behavior from Archicad 23. From now, the fill origin is set to the middle of the element by default.

2. Incorrect display of simple wooden door leaf: I was unable to reproduce it using Archicad 24 INT. May I ask if you are using a localized version? If not, which door did you use to reproduce the issue with INT library?

3. Favorites from infobox don't apply to drawings: I confirmed this is a bug. Therefore, I entered it into our defect database. Hopefully it won't be a difficult one!

4. 2D & 3D Cover fill orientation & Surface orientation don't sync with each other: this is a known issue to us. Previously, we removed this feature from the Slab due to a design decision. There are multiple challenges if we want to solve this issue properly, therefore it has not been brought back yet. We have asked for it from the development multiple times. We hope that it can make a come back in Archicad 26!

Thank you very much for your understanding, and I am very sorry for the inconvenience! Please let me know if you have any further questions/input!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT

Stuart Smith
Booster
mnguyen wrote:

4. 2D & 3D Cover fill orientation & Surface orientation don't sync with each other: this is a known issue to us. Previously, we removed this feature from the Slab due to a design decision. There are multiple challenges if we want to solve this issue properly, therefore it has not been brought back yet. We have asked for it from the development multiple times. We hope that it can make a come back in Archicad 26!
26!?!? I would like to express extreme displeasure and disappointment. This change in functionality causes loss of productivity and violates the basic concept of BIM, since it requires one to align 2D and 3D patterns separately. The default behavior should be that they align! There is no excuse.
v26 3010 USA
MacOS 12.6
AC user since 8.1
Anonymous
Not applicable
@Stuart
Stuart wrote:
This change in functionality causes loss of productivity and violates the basic concept of BIM
exactly

@Nguyen
Thanks for your reply,
here's my thoughts from the new infos you provided

BUG 1 & 4
mnguyen wrote:
due to a design decision
as i suspected, shame, all the new niche features pale in comparison to the loss of this feature...i guess it's because the slab joining display on floor plan, or because of the new column / beam segmentation settings, along the development of those features, someone messed up the code for fill sync. and display..
I don't know how you guys do your design & documentation, and what drove the decision to let this primary feature (fill sync & control) unsolved for so long, but i'd rather be able to control my fills and have them synced properly than having those fancy new features.

1. imagine (and try it yourself) having to do the fill reconfiguration of all of your ceiling plans, floor plans, interior elevations for each room, elevations, sections, construction detail, etc.
2. add to that the design of the building is angled and segmented
3. i'm a bit surprised this thing went by for a full release cycle without anyone saying anything yet.

One of the reasons people ditched their Autocad (including me) a looong time ago, was because people hate doing their hatches in Autocad, i'm telling you, this poor decision brings back nightmare from my uni year that i haven't had in a long time.. *shudders*
--------------------

BUG 2
AC24 INT, archicad library 24 (no localized content whatsoever), Door 24, leaf 55, 54, etc. (it worked fine if the leaf got no glass pane whatsoever, or if the glass pane was small enough and tucked on the top side corner), again, things that weren't broken. This is another reason why we need to have the ability to create and manage our own display of custom objects, so that GS can focus on implementing new functionality without breaking the old ones, and also because, please, we can make our own bed if only we had the tools
https://helpcenter.graphisoft.com/user-guide/129992/

CUSTOM LIBRARY PART MAKER WITH DYNAMIC LOD LINKED TO VIEW MAP ATTRIBUTES
https://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=71635
-------------------------

BUG 3
hopefully, but i'm not too worried because this one still got a workaround, unlike the other three, thank you nonetheless
-------------------------

Here's my suggestions for those bugs
BUG 1 & 4
as a temporary & short term fix, please make it so that at least we have the ability to input the fill angle from default settings (Ctrl+T) or Infobox and the ability to at least define the start point of the fill
as for the sync. issue, i think a permanent fix is a must

I'm curious about what others have to say about these issues
Cheers
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Dear John and Stuart,

Thank you very much for the report!

Regarding bug 1, I looked for it in our database but found no similar reports. I guess this is a rare finding, so thank you very much! I entered it as a defect in our Defect database (please refer to it as DEF-3369), hopefully, it'll be addressed soon!

Regarding bug 2, I think that it might also be a defect. There seems to be an inconsistency in deciding when to show the glass line. Let me ask for more information about it!

Regarding bug 4: I totally understand the frustration, however, this turned out to be a very difficult fix than we originally thought. The previous "Align texture in 3D" function was a very basic one. It works with slabs simply because it's a flat surface. The situation becomes more difficult when we need to align the edge or bottom surface with the fill. We are requesting for this feature to be brought back in Archicad 25, but there is no warranty yet. The reason it is pushed back to AC26 is that we are still looking for a total solution that can work with all types of elements, not just slabs.
I will let you know as soon as we have any progress!

Thank you very much for your understanding!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
GRAPHISOFT

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Nguyen,

No problem, it's just my standard routine to do all these necessary checks by going through a series of workflow simulations and test our office's standards with each new release before we give them a go (that's why i was able to find the CW bug as well back when AC22 was released, and with your help, it has been fixed now)

So, once again before i go further, i'd like to thank you for your relatively thorough, quick & to the point responses, explanations & rough ideas on what you guys will do towards these issues, i appreciate the fact that you & your team took the time to look into each problems individually, hopefully GS will be able to dedicate enough of their limited time, people, and resources to solve these issues in the near future, and in the end hopefully the customer and archicad community in general will be able to appreciate the effort as well when proper fixes have been made, after all, a happy customer is a returning customer, and good products sell themselves.

Cheers!
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi John,

Thank you very much for your understanding and your kind words! We always try our best to make sure there are as few bugs as possible, but due to limited resources, sometimes, the small ones slip through. Therefore, we really appreciate the time and effort you have spent in checking the application and inform us about any bug you find.

While we are here, I would like to mention that bug 2 has been entered into our database. There seems to be an inconsistency in some door styles with the glass portion.

Once again, thank you very much for your help! We truly are grateful for it!

Have a great day!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
GRAPHISOFT

John Stanford
Newcomer

i haven't been on the forum for a long time, just came back & want to check whether or not this will get the fix it needed in next  early AC26 release? (or maybe even next patches of AC 25?)
if it's a yes then we'll consider sticking with AC, if it's just a maybe then we'll have to let AC go unfortunately

Best regards
John