Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

Best solution Architectural Renders

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi everyone,

I'd need some help in finding the best solution to create architectural renders. Example:

1) I thought in Archicad+3DsMax+V Ray.

Could you give me your advice on this? Is it necessary to create the model in Archidad and then render with 3Ds Max and V ray? or do you have other suggestions?

2) The configuration of the computer would be Intel Core™ i7 860 (2,80 GHz,caché L3 de 8 MB), Memory DDR3 de 6.144 MB (2 x 2 GB) (2 x 1 GB) 1.067 MHz, NVIDIA GeForce™ GT220 1 GB.

Thank you for any help.[/img]
26 REPLIES 26
Wokka
Contributor
beibbs wrote:
Hi Karl,

And i'm also trying to understand what to do exactly with each of the 3 softwares: which tasks should i do in Archicad, which ones in 3Ds max and which ones in Vray.

So all the suggstions are welcomed!

Thanx for the help!
Gday,
I use ArchiCad/C4D/Vray combination daily.
My workflow is
- Do all the main building parts with ArchiCad, (walls, slabs, roof, windows, doors etc using plugins for detail from Cadimage ie roof tiles, gutters, downpipes etc).
- Import into C4D with the great 3rd party plugin, setup lighting, materials, camera etc. You can use the ArchiCad cameras to help but the C4D ones are far more powerfull. Also import furniture, trees, bushes etc
- Use the Vray rendering engine with Vray lights and camera tags
- If you have changes in ArchiCad, reimport the new model and all the existing materials and textures in C4D are reapplied to the new model.

Cheers
Warwick Lloyd-Martin
3 D E N V I R O N M E N T
http://www.3de.com.au
Windows 11 Pro 64bit
ArchiCad 4.55>27 AUS
Lumion 12.5/2023
D5 Render
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi everyone,

i see you all agree on the combination of Archicad and 4D cinema or 3DS and vray.

Thanx to your suggestions it's almost clear the workflow too.

1-What do you think about sketchup pro instead of Archicad?Could it give similar results or is too much "basic"?And what about Revit Or Autocad architecture? I'm asking to be sure that Archicad is the best modeler and go for it withouth doubts.

2-I'm checking the web to compare Artlantis-4D and 3DS. My first impression is that Artlantis is a step lower even if results are good and 3Ds a bit more impressive than 4D Cinema but maybe because 3Ds is the industry standard and there is much more material in the web.

Roberto
Anonymous
Not applicable
If your going to produce 3D images on a daily bases, Archicad Cinema / 3Ds Max and Vray are the way to go. ( This is not a cheap solution, trust me )

If you are only doing it now and again and want to save yourself a lot of cash, Sketchup Pro and Artlantis is what you want.

Download the demos and see what work best for you.

Cian.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes, for what i see it will not be cheap neither economically nor in matter of time.
But i'm afraid that i'm going to invest time in Sketchup/Artlantis too and when i'm done the limitations would be a lot and i would need to upgrade to Archicad+Cinema or 3dsMax and Vray.

What does Archicad that doesn't do Sketchup and what does 4D Cinema that doesn't do Artlantis?

Thanks for all these suggestions, you are helping a lot.

Roberto
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi everyone and thanx for your suggestions.
I was surfing the web to reach a conclusion about the best software for my needs but this looks really complicated!

I'm pretty sure Archicad is the most complete solution to create the model.
I will use Sketchup just to save the sketches.

For the rendering solution to combine with Archicad i'm still undecided between Artlantis, 3Ds+Vray and Cinema 4D+Vray.
I was pretty sure to choose Archicad+ 4D Cinema Architecture Edition +Vray but studying the products in internet new doubts came out:

1) What does 4D Cinema offer more than 3D Max?(I love the Sketch and Toon module)

2) I was sure Artlantis wasn't enough but I found some really good renderings made with Artlantis that made me think. You all agree that Artlantis is really good and fast. So after seeing these renderings...

3) What about the trees, materials, libraries and other realistic entourage in 4D, 3Ds and Artlantis?Which one offers more?

4)Where do you setup the plot, the shape of the garden etc, in Archicad?

Muchas Gracias!
Archicad-Artlantis-1240418914 1.jpg
Dwight
Newcomer
You are really starting to split hairs with your questions, since many of these issues are matters of personal taste. AND it seems to me that your inexperience will work against you in learning a complex rendering tool from the getgo.

I suggest that you get the Artlantis demo and play with it for two weeks, then decide if you should progress to other tools.
Dwight Atkinson
Karl Ottenstein
Dwight wrote:
I suggest that you get the Artlantis demo and play with it for two weeks, then decide if you should progress to other tools.
...and I cannot recall that the demo comes with the standard shader package/etc? So, do not judge by the included shaders. Be sure to go through the many tutorials on the Artlantis web site. And, if you have your own texture images from your prior render projects ... be sure to follow the tutorial on how to create your own shaders.

Cheers,.
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Ok you are right. I'm starting to split hairs and there's so much material out in the web that you can get really confused.
I'll try Artlantis,see how it works and if it's the right solution !

Thanx!

Roberto
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Roberto

I hear this question all the time - especially in my line of work; what is the best visualization pipeline for...
As a former ArchiCAD and C4D user - with extensive knowledge of a variety of rendering engines, including: Lightworks, Artlantis, V-ray, Mental-Ray, Maxwell and Render Man - I'd like to introduce you to another option you may find useful.

I am referring to StudioGPU's MachStudio Pro -MachStudio Pro

It has a seamless integration with ArchiCAD - as well as most other 3D industry standard applications - and FBX, which will make bringing in entourage assets a snap. Further more, in terms of visual flexibility, it will provide a range all the way from toon style shaders, to the photo real.

Best of all, it's by far the fastest rendering engine out there, capable of delivering full HD images in few seconds - or sub seconds! - by using the power of the GPU.

It won't give you to image quality of Maxwell, but it'll be close enough, and will provide you with all the flexibility and ease to put Dwight's instructions into practice - as a matter of fact, since it is a raster based engine - a theatrical tool - which is driven by artistic sensibility (as opposed to physical simulation) it will force you to "think like a photographer" and will teach you a thing or two about rendering while you're at it.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi everyone,
thanks to your suggestions i decided for the solution Sketchup pro/Archicad with Artlantis.

I choose Artlantis for the good quality (yet not at 4D Cinema or 3Ds Max level but anyway a very good quality) and because it is easier to learn and faster to render.

I'm almost done with the PC configuration too:

DELL STUDIO XPS 800 DT:
Intel Core™ i7 860 (2,80 GHz,caché L3 de 8 MB), Memory DDR3 de 6.144 MB (2 x 2 GB) (2 x 1 GB) 1.067 MHz.

I only have a doubt: which is the best graphic card i should choose for Artlantis? I searched the forum but could not find an answer.

In the Dell XPS 8000 i can choose between a Geforce GT220 (1GB) or a Geforce GTS240 (1GB). Which one of the two is the best or would it be better a Nvidia Quadro?

Thank you!