Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Best way to remove unwanted consultant layers from a DWG file xref'd into Archicad?

rob2218
Enthusiast
Using Archicad 22 on a PC.
Client who is also an architect, uses Autocad and he sends me DWGs often with his own (ahem) "unique" layer naming convention.

I'm tired of polluting my BIM model with his layers when I use his DWGs to do reference traces so what is the best way to:
1) import his DWG file temporarily and then being able to remove his layering convention?

is it xrefencing his DWG?
is it hotlinking his DWG?
Is it having to go into his drawings (DWGs) and adding an extra lettering (I've been adding in his layer list 'ZZ-' so's to keep track of his layers when remove them after I'm done with his DWG).

Or is there a best practices method for removing DWG polluting layers in one fell swoop?
thanks,
...Bobby Hollywood live from...
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Windows7 -OS, MAC Maverick OS
12 REPLIES 12
If you use the Xref Manager to attach his DWG, the layers will be kept separate (at the bottom of the layer list), and when you detach the Xref in the Xref Manager, the associated layers will be gone.
Richard
--------------------------
Richard Morrison, Architect-Interior Designer
AC26 (since AC6.0), Win10
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
You could also try to set up Layer Name Conversion rules in your DXF-DWG Translation Setup Dialog. I think it works during both DWG/DXF Export and Import.
You could potentially set up a translator that converts all DWG layers into a single ARCHICAD Layer.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Brett Brown
Advocate
rob2218 wrote:

Or is there a best practices method for removing DWG polluting layers in one fell swoop?
thanks,
I thought the best practice is to place the DWG as a drawing on a Worksheet. there you can use as a trace reference. No layers.
I mainly get Topo's as DWG's, place as a drawing, explode to the Archicad layer and then put what I need on my layers.
Imac, Big Sur AC 20 NZ, AC 25 Solo UKI,
rob2218
Enthusiast
So...let me add some more parameters to the mix.
1) I don't want to separate all the DWGs layers into just ONE Archicad layer, makes for a mess when you actually need to 'hide' some of the DWG layer, say dimensions or tags that came with the DWG. I want to just be able to bring in the DWG file and then detach or remove the DWG file without having my layer list poluted.

2) Bringing in the DWG file as a drawing on worksheet, doesn't that put everything into ONE layer? or does it keep it's original DWG layers?
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Brett Brown
Advocate
You said you want the DWG as a reference. You will be using the drawing as a reference. No layers involved, except the 1 layer, you put the DWG drawing on, on the worksheet. The drawing is one entity, not a lot of DWG layers.
If you want to use anything in your plan from the DWG, then you have to explode it.
Imac, Big Sur AC 20 NZ, AC 25 Solo UKI,
rob2218
Enthusiast
I like the DWG as a drawing imported into a worksheet.
The only hang up is....that sometimes...not a lot of times but 'sometimes' you need to be able to hide and isolate "some" layers while seeing others.

But for the most part the DWG into a Worksheet is good.
I hadn't realized that when you bring a DWG into a worksheet, you can still snap to intersections and endpoints as thought it acted as a line drawing.
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Barry Kelly
You can control the DWG layers if you place it with the drawing tool.
Select the placed drawing and go into the settings.

You may also find the 'layer visibility' in the info box to save opening the settings dialogue - if it is not there you can turn it on in the Work Environment.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Barry wrote:
You can control the DWG layers if you place it with the drawing tool.
Select the placed drawing and go into the settings.

drawing_layers_2.jpg

You may also find the 'layer visibility' in the info box to save opening the settings dialogue - if it is not there you can turn it on in the Work Environment.

Barry.
I can't believe I didn't know this after so long on ArchiCAD. Thanks Barry!
rob2218
Enthusiast
Barry....YOU sir, are "The Man".

Graphisoft...you better scoop this guy up.
He know'd his chit.
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23