Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Best way to reset wall angle in plan view for dimensions?

4hotshoes
Advisor

When new users draw walls or move things around on plan view, often walls get moved by mistake. This will make the wall angles off by just a fraction of a degree. Then walls are not longer perfectly parallel to each other. This drives me crazy because it causes several problems. One problem is in dimensioning. A continuous dim string will not dimension a wall core that is off. This problem also frustrates new users. They think that Archicad Dim tool is malfunctioning.

It happens enough that I thought I would ask people with experience how they prefer to make walls orthogonal again (MWOA). 

I have used the Guide Line Tool and placed it on a wall endpoint that I know is in the correct position and stretch the guide out to lock on an orthogonal angle. And then zoom in as far as possible to the "off" end and move it into position. While reliable, it is a very tedious process. Is there a faster, reliable way?

Todd Oeftger
AC27 Mac MacBook Pro 15", 2019, 2.3 GHz i9, 32GB, Radeon Pro 560X 4GB, 500GB SSD, 32" Samsung Display (2560x1440)
4 REPLIES 4

I just use quick guides, grab a node move it a little and then I hold shift and make sure tracker says the desired angle before clicking.

Something that helps me, when drawing walls I always hold shift and then hit the hotkey for distance. This locks the wall on the desired angle so you can type the exact distance and help eliminate walls off by .001

Drawing them for the first time is not a problem usually. But when you have hundreds of small and long walls, how can you know quickly which ones are off? 

I know that I can change the Units for angles to have 4 decimal places and set the off angle to the nearest desired angle.

It would be nice if there were an attribute (Wall plan angle) that a GO could read and highlight all walls NOT to the desired set angles (0, 90, 180, 270, or whatever set needed). You can do this in Sketchup.

Todd Oeftger
AC27 Mac MacBook Pro 15", 2019, 2.3 GHz i9, 32GB, Radeon Pro 560X 4GB, 500GB SSD, 32" Samsung Display (2560x1440)

A graphic override for this would be handy indeed.

I don't recall a GO being possible, but I do recall someone posting here about using a label to show the wall angle.

Here it is - a post by @Link ...

https://community.graphisoft.com/t5/Wishes-forum/Way-to-find-wall-attributes-for-length-and-angle/m-...

However Links link to the depository.

But it does seem to be in BIMComponents ... https://bimcomponents.com/Search/label

It is a label call "Element Orientation Check"

BarryKelly_0-1656472991038.png

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11