Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Block Railing

vghimire
Participant

Hi everyone, 

I am using Archicad 21, any ideas how to create a railing like this?

New user! 

Thanks, 

Verna

12.Coming up from the Garage.jpg

11 REPLIES 11
Lingwisyer
Guru

From memory, there is no way to get the panels to fit to the treads. Other than that, set your Inner Posts to invisible OR the thickness of your recessed pieces. Insert Panels that have no offset from the Top Rail or from their related posts. You could set the Top Rail to a custom profile to get that lower strip incorporated into the same piece. If the Top Rail wraps down to the floor at the ends, you will need to applie a custom profile to your two end Posts. I am not sure how well the Posts mitre with the Top Rail though...

Ling.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660 
Julio C Freitas
Enthusiast

Look, in this case if the guardrail tool doesn't work, I would go for a simpler solution.
I even made one for an example, using wall and the aperture tool to create the angulation. For the handrail I used morph, but it could also be something else.Captura de tela 2022-09-13 013811.png

Barry Kelly

Maybe you can use the standard rail tool.

I have not tried this but it may be something you can play with ...

You can have one baluster per tread.

Maybe you can customise the size of the baluster to be the same as the length of your tread?

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Lingwisyer
Guru

Is there a way to offset the Inner Posts from the leading edge? Else you just have to resort to paired posts and have a gap since you cannot put a panel between paired posts? Paired posts are an issue for your ends though, since they are only generated between nodes and not on your end nodes.

Ling.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660 

This is great! what is the Aperture tool and where do i find it 

I tried this but didn't work! maybe I'll give it another shot 

I'll give this a try 

actually the right name is opening tool. As I don't use the English version of Archicad I ended up fooling myself

Perhaps you've seen it before. But it's a very simple tool, which can make a void geometry on various elements.

The Opening Tool in the Architect’s Workflow 

You mean the one we have on windows and doors !! Still not sure how you made that angle