Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Can't 'Save to File" to make .ps file for HP455 CA Rip

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am using ArchiCAD 7 on a G5 with Mac OS X V. 10.3.9. My colleagues are using OS 9.2 and the same sotfware. They have no problems saving to File through ArhciCAD then using HP455 CA Rip to send the .ps files to the Plotter. I can't save to file and have to do it through their computers. So, I guess the problem is with the operating system? Any clues on how to fix this? I think there's a longer way through Plotmaker etc. but any advice would be appreciated.

cheers
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable
The problem is probably with the RIP only being available in OS 9.

You need a RIP to send any type of Postscript, Illustrator, PDF ( all ps type vector files) to the HP plotter. If you/they are using the RIP that cam with the plotter it is most likely NOT OSX compatible (or installable).

BUT... you are able to save PDF files from Plotmaker.

Sound like you need a OSX RIP software (unless you can get the os9 RIP to run in Classic...not likely)

Norbert
Anonymous
Not applicable
I don't use mac's so I'm not sure if this helps at all.. but it looked somewhat promising: Gimp-Print

I used to use it on my linux machine to print from gimp, and it worked well with that, it might be worth checking out

HTH,
Daniel
Anonymous
Not applicable
Cheers for that Daniel - have downloaded the software and it does loo promising but...... we have an old HP455CA plotter and for some reason I can't find the IP Address of it, whicj I need to set up the Gimp Print. I can find the addresses of other printers on our network but not this one - when I print a test page that doesn't work either!
So.. if anyone knows how to find the ip address of a printer on a netork of Macs I' d really appreciate it... thanks again people
Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm glad that was helpful, as far as determining the IP address of the printer I'm not sure.. although with my printer I can actually get that off the printer itself, not sure if the 455CA is capable of that.

cheers,
daniel

EDIT: I've just downloaded the PDF version of the manual, and could find nothing on how to get the IP addres from the printer itself, so it looks liek youre going to have to do it over the network somehow, but as to how, im really not sure, never done too much with mac networking.
We had a 450C on a JetDirect box. HP had a utility for configuring the box thru the network... Even if the 455CA is networked directly, maybe something like that would work. I would check HP's website for network plotter admin utilities.

We had fine success with GimpPrint with that plotter as I recall.
James Murray

Archicad 25 • Rill Architects • macOS • OnLand.info
Anonymous
Not applicable
completely off topic.. but: James do we get a new avatar of you this year? with a new ginger bread house????
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
Matt wrote:
we have an old HP455CA plotter and for some reason I can't find the IP Address of it, whicj I need to set up the Gimp Print. I can find the addresses of other printers on our network but not this one - when I print a test page that doesn't work either!
So.. if anyone knows how to find the ip address of a printer on a netork of Macs I' d really appreciate it... thanks again people

Matt:

For what it is worth:
I have an HP 650C plotter with a DirectJet card. I was able to print the test page to get the IP address, which is 192.0.0.192. I am using PlotFlow for X (this is part of the ArchiCAD installation) to plot (not print) to the plotter, the set up in PlotFlow using TCP/IP is:
Address: 192.0.0.192
Port: 9100

I did this years ago, so I cannot remember everything, but my recollection is that the DirectJet cards have this address by default, and I could not change it using a Mac (I think it is possible if connected to a PC). There were a number of messages about these issues about 2 to 3 years ago when offices were transitioning from OS 9 to OS X, so you should check the archives on ArchiCAD-Talk and eScribe (have these been combined?).

Hope this helps.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
do we get a new avatar of you this year?
We understand that your time is valuable and regret any inconvenience this brief delay may have caused.
James Murray

Archicad 25 • Rill Architects • macOS • OnLand.info
Anonymous
Not applicable
splendid james, truly splendid