BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Change tool and Revision History

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have reviewed the AC20 PDF Guide with regard to the Change tool and Revision History.

Information on the Change tool is simple and straight forward.

The information on Revision History strikes me as inadequate, not sufficiently descriptive, and seems to reference a tool that is overly complicated relative to the needs of most firms. It seems to me that Graphisoft set out to create a feature that would meet all imaginable conditions and then just gave up trying to describe how to use it.

Is anyone aware of a video tutorial (not a bunch of PDFs as part of a Powerpoint presentation) that clearly describes how to use this feature in coordination with the Change tool? Failing a video, does anyone know of an adequate abstract?
7 REPLIES 7
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
The official Revision Management playlist of the ARCHICAD YouTube Channel (46 clips):

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLnXY6vLUwlWVakX9gE_4eau0ClfPX1z8b
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
laszlonagy wrote:
The official Revision Management playlist of the ARCHICAD YouTube Channel (46 clips):

I wish GS understood how annoying breaking up this information into a playlist of an endless series of 2 minute (or so) videos is to watch. Why can't they just make a 20-minute (say) single video? If they got rid of all the intros and outros, they could probably cut the time in half.
Richard
--------------------------
Richard Morrison, Architect-Interior Designer
AC26 (since AC6.0), Win10
DGSketcher
Legend
I think the two minute guides are great, it means I can usually get to what I want to find quickly.

Have you tried Eric Bobrow's posts on youtube to see if he has it covered?
Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you! Very helpful videos - somehow I had forgotten about the Archicad YouTube channel.

I know I saw a control somewhere that turns off the use of the Change marker head symbol in the Revision History Object, leaving only the marker text, but I cannot find it now after watching the videos - could you point out its location.

Thanks in advance.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Michael, could you post a screenshot of what it is that you want turned off?
The Change Marker's Head in the Revision History object placed on a Layout?
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Richard wrote:
laszlonagy wrote:

I wish GS understood how annoying breaking up this information into a playlist of an endless series of 2 minute (or so) videos is to watch. Why can't they just make a 20-minute (say) single video? If they got rid of all the intros and outros, they could probably cut the time in half.
Richard,

Unfortunately, among video content creators it is a known fact that people do not really watch this kind of technical stuff if it is longer than a a few minutes. They click on the clip, start watching it, and then check it length as well; if it is longer than 3-4-5 minutes then in most cases they click away. That is just an observed statistic. This is why these individual clips try to be 2-3 minute in length on average so they are actually watched by people and so can be helpful to them.
Also, I think it is easier to find the answer to a specific question in a 2-3 minute clip than in a 20-30 minute clip. Many times the title of the clip is already a clue, whereas in the case of a 20-30 minute clip the title has to be much more generic, and thus less helpful when looking for specific answers.
Gerald D Lock
Advocate
Firstly I must agree with Laszlo & DG Sketcher - cutting the content into short 'chapters' makes the content very accessible, with regard to watching and browser searches. The method is very 'de rigueur'

Secondly, I'm posting here because I have a question about Revision History, and this is the most recent post on the topic.

In our office, we're often in the situation where we need to have more than 1 issue open at once, but it seems that ArchiCAD RM will only allow 1 at any given time, and doesn't permit opening any earlier issues other than the one immediately preceding the current issue.
Our current work-around is to use the old 'dumb text' method for one of the issue streams (usually Town Planning/Secondary Consent as it generally has very few revisions) and keep the other stream (usually Design Development/Tender/Construction) within Revision Manager.

Naturally this work-around is very un-BIM - the antithesis of what we're all aiming for, I'm sure.

Is there a way to have parallel issue streams that we're unaware of?
If not, please log this as a +1 feature request
ArchiCAD 24 (build 5004)

MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2021) Apple M1 Pro 32GB RAM | MacOS 12.0.1

Melbourne, Australia
Learn and get certified!