BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

CineRender Roof Standing Seam

Brad Elliott
Booster
Have a couple of days to start learning the new CineRender so I'll probably have a few of these.
I am trying to create a new Standing Seam Roof surface. When I look at it in the library it shows this nice standing seam in the middle of the rendering ball. When I select it the seam disappears and I get the round ball only and a flat roof in my rendering. How do I get the seams to show? When I select the corrugated roof that pattern remains as shown even though it is way too shiny.

Surface in library with seam.png
Mac OS12.6 AC26 USA Silicon
M1 Macbook Pro
24 REPLIES 24
Brad Elliott
Booster
And on my surface.
Surface with seam gone.png
M1 Macbook Pro
Eduardo Rolon
in Cinerender you need to turn on the Displacement Map (if you want the geometry to deform) or Bump Map (if you want to fake it). using displacement might slow things down considerably so use with caution.

For an example check AC's soccer ball example

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMS3NhtMlDI
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Brad Elliott
Booster
So I turn on displacement and the standing seam shows up on the ball and you are correct the image now takes MUCH longer to render. But I still get no standing seam in the rendering. I have tried it for different standing seam images and it doesn't seem to work. I also don't understand how you would change the seam spacing. At this point I am not using 18 at all because I can't get a good image out of anything. As I mentioned before corrugated metal roofs seem to work fine and much faster as a bump map.
We need much better support videos because this is all black box to me and my $wonderful$ update is unused because I can't get the fancy new automatic renderer to work. And boy is it SLOOOOWWWW it takes minutes for even small pieces of the model. I see why they had to make it background rendering.
That rendering the ball video is nice but is too fast to be of any use even with me pausing it every 2 seconds.
M1 Macbook Pro
Barry Kelly
You need to activate displacement in the material which will show on the ball preview as you have done.
But you also need to turn displacement on in the rendering settings as well.
Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Brad Elliott
Booster
Except I can't find displacement in the rendering setting. Can you give me a better location?
M1 Macbook Pro
Karl Ottenstein
Under Options > General Options

It is disabled for the "Fast" predefined scenes, such as the one you show in your screenshot.
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Eduardo Rolon
This one?
Screen Shot 2014-07-17 at 5.59.11 PM.png
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Brad Elliott
Booster
Thanks but still no joy. I have attached an image rendered in final. Can someone else test this? My client wants a standing seam roof. The rest of the image is coming along nicely now.
Aslo, at some point I clicked a question mark in one of the windows that took me right to the ArchiCAD rendering help which was very useful except I can't find it now. Does anyone know where that was?
And finally, When you are in surface settings is there any way to know what CineRender material you are using? If I create a new wood siding there seems to be no way to tell which one of the dozen options it is.
Standing Seam Roof.jpg
M1 Macbook Pro
Brad Elliott
Booster
So I received a phone call that helped me out and on a small roof (10x10) on a new drawing I can get a beautiful standing seam roof. However trying to put this on a relatively small 2,500sf structure ends up with a 3+ hour render that ends in an ArchiCAD crash. To top it off the bug reporter also crashes on launch so I get to kill it as well. So at this point AC18 is unusable to me. I have to be able to show clients 3d imagery and just ok is better than nothing at all. I find it ironic that the alleged main improvement to the program doesn't work and is making me abandon the upgrade. I would love to try some of the new features but I can't get that far.
I have signed up for the rendering seminar so we'll see what happens.
M1 Macbook Pro
Learn and get certified!