Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

Cinerender procedurally generated texture won't rotate unless basic engine also has a texture

PVBergkrantz
Expert
Hello, this is a bit complex but I'll try to explain as clearly as I can. I have created a surface in cinerender with some procedurally generated shaders (gradient, tiles etc.) and found that it is not possible to rotate these textures (either by setting a rotation on the shader, or by rotating the entire material under Cinerender>Size>Angle. The material shows rotated in the preview window, but when rendering it resets, showing no change no matter the values, it is as if the render engine completely disregards rotation.

However! I noticed this did not happen to every material, and eventually managed to find out that IF I put a linked texture in the BASIC ENGINE settings for the material, THEN the rotation works. My thought is that Archicad somehow disregards uv-mapping the material if there is no texture applied, even though there is a texture when rendering. This means that I have to put textures on every material, include these in the library, on the teamwork server etc. which is an issue, especially since the real rendered textures are procedurally generated, so I don't have a ready image file to reference to.

This has got to be a bug right? I can't imagine it being a wanted feature?

The two materials in the image are identical, both rotated 90 degrees with the only difference being that one also has a texture linked to it in the basic engine, and the other doesn't. If anyone wants a .pln-file just ask and I can email.
| AC 25 Int | Win10 | i7-7800X | 32 GB | GeForce RTX 2060 6GB |

3 REPLIES 3
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hello,

Thank you very much for the report and I am very sorry about the issue!

I looked for a similar issue in our database, but couldn't find anything. From your signature, I guess you are still using Archicad 22? This could be an issue with the Cinerender engine, or could be an Archicad issue. I would be very grateful if you can send me the file to test with newer versions of Archicad. Please let me know if you need a place to upload the file.

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT

PVBergkrantz
Expert
I forgot to edit my signature, this is still present in AC23. I think it is an issue with Archicad mapping the textures, since the textures are rotated fine in the cinerender preview window, but not on the final model. I'll send you a private message with a link to a test file.
| AC 25 Int | Win10 | i7-7800X | 32 GB | GeForce RTX 2060 6GB |

Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hello,

Sorry for the long wait! Our developers have investigated the issue and found that this is a new bug with the texture settings. I entered it into our database as defect DEF-2859. I hope that this defect will not be very difficult to fix.

Thank you very much for bringing our attention to this issue, it is a great finding! If you have any further question feel free to ask me again!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT