Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Clearstory window tags?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi all,

Is there any way to show a window tag on a different level? We have a few windows above the cut plane and would like to show a dashed tag for the window in plan. Ideally would love to know if I dont have to manually type in a tag and rather use a linked tag.

Thanks in Advance!

Best!
10 REPLIES 10
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Are you coming from a Revit background? Window Tags is called Window Marker in ArchiCAD, while Level is called Story.
OK, so you can either place a Window Marker along with the Window, or you can Label a Window with the Label Tool. Can you show in a screenshot exactly what you want to achieve?
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
laszlonagy wrote:
Are you coming from a Revit background? Window Tags is called Window Marker in ArchiCAD, while Level is called Story.
OK, so you can either place a Window Marker along with the Window, or you can Label a Window with the Label Tool. Can you show in a screenshot exactly what you want to achieve?
Hi, Thanks for responding! I am coming from a bit of a revit background, but not exclusively, I was just describing from a traditional construction document terminology.

I unfortunately dont have a screenshot, however let me try to explain. I understand and can turn on window markers with windows that show up on the story. However, there are instances, where we have clearstory windows (in the current story) at a height above the cut plane (for the current story) that wouldnt show up else where (we could show in an RCP or a separate Clearstory plan however we would prefer to show these in our normal plan, even if the window does not show, maybe a bit unorthodox? but its the company's graphic standards).

I would like to know if there is a way to show a window marker from a window that is above the current cut plane for the story. Ideally we would like to have these markers have a dashed line appearance to signify that they are above the current view.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
This dashed line appearance can be done easily.
In the Floor Plan and Section panel of the Window Settings Dialog, set the Floor Plan Display field to Symbolic.
Uncheck the Enable Object's Line Types checkbox, and set a dashed line type in the Symbol Line field. Then you will have your dashed line appearance for the Window.
So this is the dashed appearance for the Window.

Unfortunately for the Window Marker I don't see a Line Type setting.
However, there is a Marker called "Window Stamp 18" which has a Line Type parameter under the 2D Representation group so you can set the line type of its border to dashed. That might do the trick for you.
Barry Kelly
I don't know about the dashed markers as that would depend on the marker you are using and what settings it as.

But it seems that unless you display the window in plan you can not show a marker for it.
I did a quick search for 'clerestory' and this is just one of the posts ... http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=157724&highlight=clerestory#157724

Laszlo might remember making this chart - it was a while ago but I don't think anything has changed.

Your best bet will be to choose a display option where the clerestory window shows as dashed so it doesn't over power the plan but will still allow it to be seen and therefore you can place a marker.

The other option I just thought of is some windows may have a parameter that allows you to hide the 2D view.
Archicad will still think the window is there and maybe the marker will show if the 2D view is hidden.
But this will depend on how your window was scripted as to whether this option is available or not.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Stress Co_
Advisor
Does this work for you?

For the clearstory window (above the cut plane):
Set Floor Plan Display to: "over head all"
Set Overhead Lines to: "dashed dence" (or an equivalent)

The wall's Floor Plan Display should be: "projected" (or projected with overhead).
Marc Corney, Architect
Red Canoe Architecture, P. A.

Mac OS 10.15.7 (Catalina) //// Mac OS 14.2.1 (Sonoma)
Processor: 3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 //// Apple M2 Max
Memory: 48 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 //// 32 GB
Graphics: Radeon Pro 580X 8GB //// 12C CPU, 30C GPU
ArchiCAD 25 (5010 USA Full) //// ArchiCAD 27 (4030 USA Full)
Karl Ottenstein
And, yet one more option that is kind of old school... You can "stack' multiple drawings in your layout to get whatever effect you want. Just make sure you have a hotspot of some sort visible to align the drawings.

It may be that with other cutplane options, you see more lines than you want - if you only want the clerestory windows and not a bunch of other roof/upper wall geometry. In that case, just do what it takes to generate a view of the clerestory windows that has the tags and otherwise looks like you want - place it on the layout on top of the main floor plan drawing and use the pet palette to tightly crop to just the clerestory bits (and the alignment bit). This gives you full control over the clerestory walls/windows with their own MVO, pen set, etc as it will be an entirely different view.

Again, it's the way we did things before the cut plane came along... but some times it is still a useful technique.
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Barry Kelly
I just loaded the standard Archicad library (I don't usually use it) and found that the windows do have an option to turn off the 2D Detail level in the General settings section.

And the markers/labels remain on when the 2D is turned off.
The window is still there and you can still select it if you can guess where the nodes are.

Barry.
window_hidden.jpg
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Barry wrote:
I don't know about the dashed markers as that would depend on the marker you are using and what settings it as.

But it seems that unless you display the window in plan you can not show a marker for it.
I did a quick search for 'clerestory' and this is just one of the posts ... http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=157750&#157750

Laszlo might remember making this chart - it was a while ago but I don't think anything has changed.
It looks like a few things changed since that chart.
So just for fun I have recreated it. See the image attached.
Wall-WindowMarker-VisibilityMartix.png
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
And here is another visibility matrix that shows how the Window and Window Marker are displayed when the 2D Detail setting for the Window is set to OFF.

Unfortunately, there is no settings that could set the Window Marker line type to dashed.
Wall-WindowMarker-VisibilityMartix-Window2D-OFF.png