Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Complex profiles in plan w/out symbolic cut limitations

Rick Thompson
Expert

I have not used complex profiles for foundations before, but sort of need it now, but struggling with the display.  Perhaps unorthodox I have my foundation story at the bottom of the floor system with footings etc placed with a minus settings.  It have always worked great for me, but I have composites set to symbolic cut, which you can't do with complex profiles.  Therefore I can't get it to display as needed.  The bottom wall is as needed, but as in section you see where it is placed vertically.. above the story.  I have tried cut planes every which way I can think of, but maybe missing something, or is this just a limitation unless I create (painfully) another story for say.. footings and place the wall there?  I can spend the time replacing a bunch of walls etc, but really??? Why no symbolic setting for complex profiles.

Screenshot 2023-02-25 at 5.57.50 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-02-25 at 5.51.19 PM.png

Rick Thompson
Mac Sonoma AC 26
http://www.thompsonplans.com
Mac M2 studio w/ display
4 REPLIES 4
Barry Kelly

Much needed feature.

You can add a like to this post if you want ...

https://community.graphisoft.com/t5/Wishes-forum/Symbolic-view-for-complex-profile-walls/m-p/256277

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Tim Ball
Expert

I do my foundations as 2 wall. One wall is the block construction below ground floor and includes the dpc and floor edge insulation, the pother wall is the footing itself.

I set the floor plan cut plane through the block wall so that the footing only shows in outline, which is the way I would have drawn it in 2D.

The other thing I find useful is to split the footing wall complex profile into 2 fills along the gridline setting out point. Change the edge line of one fill to match your gridline linetype and colour and turn the same edge on the other profile off. That way when you are locating the footing in section you can easily align it with the gridline.

Screenshot 2023-02-26 at 11.37.49.pngScreenshot 2023-02-26 at 11.38.57.png
Tim Ball

AC26, iMac

User since V5
ArchDMn
Contributor

I'm all for a symbolic cut view for complex profiles, and how about also for being able to also put 'X' or '/' symbol on beam cross sections the same way we can with columns.

However I also like putting the foundation on its own story. It makes sense as it's essentially another volume and you can also put site work on that story that you don't necessarily want on the building plan.

I solve this issue by creating 4 BMATS name them "X1" "X2" "X3" "X4" then create a complex profile by creating a square with 4 triangles each using one of the 4 new BMATS created. Apply the profile to Beams and Columns and they will have the X automatically generated, you just stretch them into the shape you need.

You can even change the pen for the [X] lines so they are not as thick as the cut outline as well.

For a [/] you just use 2 of the "X" BMATS.

Graphisoft Certified Archicad BIM Manager - AC6 to AC25/AC26 macOS Ventura