Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.
SOLVED!

Composite walls - Displaying core of Load Bearing elements

Johan Stinckens
Advocate
For walls that seperate private units in an appartment building we commonly use a load bearing wall in which two structural skins are seperated by a layer of acoustic insulation -> concrete/masonry + insulation + concrete/masonry (see attached image).

Problem: ArchiCAD doesn't allow me to define two core skins either side of a finish/other skin.
Currently I have defined all the skins in the composite as Core elements. This however means that when I save a view showing "Core of load-bearing only", the insulation for these walls are also shown, which I do not want.

Does anyone know of a method to define a composite structure where the outher skins are defined as "Core" and the inner skin is defined as "Other"?

Greetz...

Johan
Johan Stinckens
BIM Modeller at Atrium Architecten
Archicad user since April 2014 (v17 - v26) - CC iRT i9-12900 - 64 GB / Nvidia Geforce RTX 3080 - Windows 10 Pro 64

Other than that it's hiking, camping, climbing.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
super secret trick: create a stretchable complex profile of the bits of wall + the air layer. You can freely define core/other/finish settings to whatever you please in complex profiles.
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Solution
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
super secret trick: create a stretchable complex profile of the bits of wall + the air layer. You can freely define core/other/finish settings to whatever you please in complex profiles.
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Johan Stinckens
Advocate
Hi Erwin,

Super Special Trick indeed!

Should have thought about that one myself.
But as it happens I hadn't ever used a stretchable profile yet, but I will surely do more now.

That said, I do hope Graphisoft will update composites so that core-skins can be defined either side of a finish/other skin coincidently.

Greetz...

Johan
Johan Stinckens
BIM Modeller at Atrium Architecten
Archicad user since April 2014 (v17 - v26) - CC iRT i9-12900 - 64 GB / Nvidia Geforce RTX 3080 - Windows 10 Pro 64

Other than that it's hiking, camping, climbing.
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
Alternative is to draw two ' half' walls. I would not overlap the reference line though. There are some limitations with complex profiles and scheduling (can't remember what right now, but recall I had some issues), simply because complex profile can be any shape and composite by default pretty much is straight in all directions.
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5