Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Control of wall intersection

Josh Verran
Expert

This is a bit of a noob question, but it's had me stumped for awhile.

I want to control if a wall intersects with another.

I have tried turning off auto-intersection, also altered the junction value for the wall in question but not having any luck.

I want to avoid the layer intersection pathway as creates complications later with extra combos etc.

I understand why the wall is intersecting, just want to make it not intersect.

Wall intersection thumbnail.png

GRAPHISOFT CERTIFIED ARCHICAD BIM MANAGER

ARCHICAD 18-27 | BIMcloud Basic | CI Tools | Grasshopper - Rhino | CloudCompare | Bluebeam

LinkedIn | www.creativespace.co.nz | Tauranga, New Zealand

Windows 10 Pro | Intel Core i9-9900K @3.60GHZ | 32Gb RAM | 2xSamsung S27F350 1920x1080 60Hz | Nvidia Quadro P2200 (5Gb)
10 REPLIES 10
DGSketcher
Legend

The walls will auto intersect if the base lines connect, after which PBC (Building Material Strength) will kick in causing the extension to the inside face.

Some ideas:

Can you change the Building Material Strengths so that the thicker is the stronger?

Can you leave the wall short by a tiny amount?

You could add a short complex profile column matching the end of the wall which will not extend but should give the required 2D/3D appearance.

Can the new walls go on a different layer with a different intersection number?

If the walls are the same material strength then you may be able to control the connection with the wall priority settings.

Hoping one of the above works...?

Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)

Thanks for the detailed response @DGSketcher .
The building materials already have the correct strength.

Thick wall is a composite of two materials Concrete and Masonry Block (890 and 900).

The thin wall is Timber Framing (700).

The method of dragging the wall back would work, just a bit reluctant to put little fudged like that if there is a more solid method.
The layer intersection method is probably the most suitable method although it involves the creating of layers for effectively the same "thing", you then need extra layer combos etc all for the purpose of trying to stop a couple of walls from extending.

Thanks very much for tips.

I do wish there was a more robust method to control wall intersections.

Stength.png

ARCHICAD 18-27 | BIMcloud Basic | CI Tools | Grasshopper - Rhino | CloudCompare | Bluebeam

Windows 10 Pro | Intel Core i9-9900K @3.60GHZ | 32Gb RAM | 2xSamsung S27F350 1920x1080 60Hz | Nvidia Quadro P2200 (5Gb)
Eduardo Rolon

2 Options:

1. Duplicate the BMats and assign them to the other wall. Different BMats will not intersect even if they have the same representation.

2. Place one of the walls in another layer with a different intersection number and that will also remove the intersection.

-----

You might need to use both options during the project.

EduardoRolon_0-1632866628393.png

Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Josh Verran
Expert

Hi Eduardo, thanks for the tip.

I try to avoid duplicating Building Materials like this as creates inconsistencies with documentation later. For example interactive keys that now say there's two wall types when theres actually only one, or schedule that say theres 20 lineal metres of Timber Framing and .5m of Timber Framing Copy.

Eduardo Rolon

Then use the different "Layer Intersection Number" method which has the benefit of being tied to Layer Sets.

---

FYI for schedules you can use "BMat starts with XXX-Concrete…" which should group the different BMats.

Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

another Moderator

Thanks Eduardo, I'll do that.

The point I was trying to stress was that it's quite a long workaround to stop one or two wall intersections. I now have two wall layers (walls.1 and walls.2). I have to now alter all the other layer combos to show this walls.2 layer and set the intersection value for all the relevant combos.

A method where you could turn off auto-intersection, alter specific wall ref line, would be a more efficient and intuitive workflow, if it was available.

Eduardo Rolon

I don’t have anything against wishes, just like to find solutions with what is available.  
The other item that I can think of is to use “Renovation filters” to control the intersections just don’t forget which one you used when suddenly you copy a wall and it doesn’t clean up. 

Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

another Moderator

i have many walls that i join this way with out issue.

using the adjust command lets you avoid auto intersection rather than moving by node. to align with a wall line. unless the ref lines connect. you may need to modify the reference line to inside to adjust the other wall to where you want. but something is wrong if you cant get the walls to join properly with building materials.

sometimes i have to use building materials and join intersection numbers at a lower number. i default to 8 and set joining walls at 7