Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Custom Dimension Text Reverting to Measured

Dave Jochum
Advocate
Multiple dimension strings are doing this. If I dimension a door as centered between two walls, for example, and I change the text on both sides to "EQ", the next time I open the file, one of them reverts to the measured value--but not both. If there are more dimensions in the string than the two that have been customized, then BOTH custom texts revert to measured. To change back to "EQ" I select CUSTOM TEXT and "EQ" is pre-loaded. So it remembers the change, but not to display it.
Dave Jochum
J o c h u m A R C H I T E C T S http://www.jochumarchitects.com
MBP 16" (M1 Max) 64 GB•OS 13.5.2•AC 27 Silicon (latest build)
16 REPLIES 16
Barry Kelly
I just tested quickly.
Shut down Archicad and re-opened file with no problems (see image).
I am on Windows system build 5002.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Dave Jochum
Advocate
Barry wrote:
I just tested quickly.
Shut down Archicad and re-opened file with no problems (see image).
I am on Windows system build 5002.

Barry.
This is a brand new problem for me, and I'm on Mac 4022 build. I'm not sure if is started with the build update, but it could have. Not sure of the timing.
Dave Jochum
Barry Kelly
Build 5002 preview is available here ...

http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=58211

You could try that or wait a while until the official update is released - I am sure I read somewhere it would be later this month.

Duplicate your current installed program before you update.
That way if you are not happy you can just delete the whole updated program and re-name the copy to go back to 4022 - to save having to reinstall from scratch.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Dave Jochum
Advocate
Barry wrote:
Build 5002 preview is available here ...

http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=58211

You could try that or wait a while until the official update is released - I am sure I read somewhere it would be later this month.

Duplicate your current installed program before you update.
That way if you are not happy you can just delete the whole updated program and re-name the copy to go back to 4022 - to save having to reinstall from scratch.

Barry.
Yes--good idea generally. Unfortunately, I am three days from submitting a permit package with the file in question, so will have to wait. Thanks.
Dave Jochum
Daniel Kovacs
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hello Dave,

Unfortunately this is not a bug that will be fixed in that update, this is a limitation of current Library Parts. The hotspots you connect your dimensions to in the library part may disappear in a different detail level, and when you come back to this detail level, the dimension will basically regenerate (and thus forget it was supposed to be custom). This varies between different points of the same library part and different library parts.

What you should try, is to place several other dimension lines, and link that point to some other hotspot on the same edge (the inner corner of the reveal, the outer corner, where the casing and the wall meets, etc.). If none of the hotspots on that side give the desired results, you can still use a non-linked node (the little square instead of the circle, when you input the points).

Fixing this problem is on our to-do list, but it requires completely redesigning how doors/windows work, so it won't come easy (it has been like this since day one).

Thanks for understanding,
Daniel Alexander Kovacs

Professional Services Consultant

GRAPHISOFT

For Troubleshooting and useful Tips & Tricks visit
Dave Jochum
Advocate
dkovacs wrote:
Hello Dave,

Unfortunately this is not a bug that will be fixed in that update, this is a limitation of current Library Parts. ... Fixing this problem is on our to-do list, but it requires completely redesigning how doors/windows work, so it won't come easy (it has been like this since day one).

Thanks for understanding,
Thanks for the info, Daniel. It's odd that I've never encountered/noticed this issue in the past. I'm glad to know how to counter it so I won't have to continue fixing it each time I publish.
Dave Jochum
laylag
Newcomer
Hello,

We seem to be having this issue a lot. We type text in a dimension in our interior elevations (they are not particularly linked to doors or windows - , maybe room heights, or cabinetry, etc... ), and then after a while, we realize some of them are showing the dimension and not the text. It is very annoying since we do this a lot, and it it very difficult for us to go through each one of them and re do them. Could this be fixed if we make them "static"? Will this make a difference or is it not worth it? Thanks.
Lingwisyer
Guru
@laylag

Refer to Daniels post:
Daniel wrote:
What you should try, is to place several other dimension lines, and link that point to some other hotspot on the same edge (the inner corner of the reveal, the outer corner, where the casing and the wall meets, etc.). If none of the hotspots on that side give the desired results, you can still use a non-linked node (the little square instead of the circle, when you input the points).

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660 
JOTHOMAS
Participant

I have noticed this glitch has started cropping up in my project. I am using Archicad 24 with the latest update.

This conversation started in 2017 and it was acknowledged that this has been an issue since the start.

Why has this not been fixed yet?!  It seems this option is perhaps somewhat redundant unless it is useable. 

The work around I use is to copy a text box over the custom text.