Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Custom Dimension Text Reverting to Measured

Dave Jochum
Advocate
Multiple dimension strings are doing this. If I dimension a door as centered between two walls, for example, and I change the text on both sides to "EQ", the next time I open the file, one of them reverts to the measured value--but not both. If there are more dimensions in the string than the two that have been customized, then BOTH custom texts revert to measured. To change back to "EQ" I select CUSTOM TEXT and "EQ" is pre-loaded. So it remembers the change, but not to display it.
Dave Jochum
J o c h u m A R C H I T E C T S http://www.jochumarchitects.com
MBP 16" (M1 Max) 64 GB•OS 13.5.2•AC 27 Silicon (latest build)
16 REPLIES 16

Working on Archicad 24 build 7006 USA full on a Mac Studio. We are experiencing this STILL. Use text in dimension strings, send/receive, close down for the night. Reopen the file in the morning and a good portion of the dimension strings we have added text to default to the measurement. A lot of duplicated work for this. Has this ever been addressed or corrected? It is really time consuming to go back and redo work every time we have to publish a set of documents. 

JOTHOMAS
Participant

I am not aware of a bug fix for this. I work around by putting a text box over the dimension from the outset with an opaque white background fill to hide the dimension. Working in AC25 now and realising I didn't do this in the current project so I will keep an eye on the custom texts I have used. Perhaps it has been fixed in the latest iteration.

(Agreed, very tedious to redo work every time it is opened or published. It makes the option fairly redundant, in my opinion!)

AC22-25

Mac Pro 3.5 GHz 8-core Intel Xeon; macOS Big Sur 11.6.1; 64 GB

Windows Surface Pro: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-1065G7 CPU @ 1.30GHz; Win10 Enterprise; 32 GB

Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni

Dear All,

Thank you very much for the reports and I'm very sorry for the trouble that this is causing!

We are aware of this issue, and a bug fix has been made in Archicad 25 Update 3. Unfortunately, the fix must be enabled via Registry Editor. From Archicad 26, this will be enabled by default.

Please open Registry Editor, then navigate to the location: \HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\GRAPHISOFT\ARCHICAD\ARCHICAD 25.0.0 INT R1\Dimensioning

and change the following keys:

• KeepCustomDimensionTexts: 0 is the default value, changing it to 1 will allow dimensions to keep custom values, instead of reverting to measured value when dimension legs moves.
  • KeepNonAutomaticPositionOfDimensionTexts: 0 is the default value, changing it to 1 will allow dimensions to keep custom position of dimension texts

Note: right after installing Archicad, you may not see these keys available. The keys will only appear if the issue happens at least once.

Please let me know if you have any further questions, and thank you very much for your understanding!

Best regards,

Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT

Minh…thanks but sadly we are using 24 for this particular project. Build 7006 on a Mac. 

Hello,

I'm very sorry to hear that! I understand that it's not easy to migrate the project when it is still on-going, but unfortunately, the technology only allows us to make the fix in Archicad 25. 

The same fix can also be found on macOS when editing the PLIST. I encourage you to give it a try with Archicad 25 if possible.

Thank you for your understanding!
Best regards,

Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT

Hi Minh,

Can you please tell me if AC25 preview update 7000 fixes this issue. It would be good to know before trying the registry/plist method. Thanks.

Regards,
Geoff Briggs
I & I Design, Seattle, USA
AC7-27, M1 Mac, OS 14.x

My understanding is that is not getting “fixed” in 25 but will be the default in 26.