BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Custom classification, omniclass and the like

hybrid
Enthusiast

Is it possible to create a custom classification? How it's done in Revit. Our customer wants to provide his classification.

AMD R7 2700 3.8@GHz | 32 Gb RAM | SSD | GTX 1050Ti
12 REPLIES 12

I think that it is not impossible using GDL.

My idea would be to write a GDL script to read the TXT file, interpret what is happening (e.g. the next line in the TXT file is a level 1/2/3/4 item, or it is the Child entry of the item in the previous line, or it is a new item in a higher level (e.g. after five level 4 items, the next line in the TXT file is a level 3 item), and based on that regenerate the same structure in XML, but following the formatting that Archicad requires.

I would be using the TXT I/O GDL extension to read from the TXT file,  and the XML I/O GDL extension to write the XML file.

I definitely do not have the time to do it, but if I did something like this, this is the approach I would take.

Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin

Here is another approach using Excel in another thread:

https://community.graphisoft.com/t5/Document-Visualize-forum/Custom-classification-creation/m-p/3051...

Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27

Or you could write a script to parse the Revit Assembly Code text file and make an XML from it. But yes, the method in the other thread could be followed as inspiration.

--- stefan boeykens --- bim-expert-architect-engineer-musician ---
Archicad27/Revit2023/Rhino8/Unity/Solibri/Zoom
MBP2023:14"M2MAX/Sonoma+Win11
Archicad-user since 1998
my Archicad Book
Learn and get certified!